Finding source of water entering property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house recently and I noticed signs of damp on the edges of floor boards of the external wall. There is an ally way on the other side. We thought it could be the soil stack leaking or surface water from the front of the property.

There was also a gully in the front of the house that wasn’t linked to a pipe (make shift soak away), so maybe some water was coming from there and travelling underground. The soil at the depth of 3 feet is clay and this is the level where I can actually see water.

We thought the gully was the cause.

So, so far we have dug up all the way on the side of the house. I have also dug up inside where there are signs of water on rainy days. Once you reach 3 feet or so, I hit water.
So we have installed a gully in the ally way. It’s not really in the front of the house, because it would have been too low there and water wouldn’t flow downwards. But we concreted the hole where the old gully was. So, I would assume the water shouldn’t escape the surface.

The soil stack and underground drain pipes are now new and not leaking.

I was confident that we have solved the issue. …………….but

Yeah you have guessed it, it rained around 6 hours after the concrete was poured and there is again standing water in the inside hole. I left the hole as it was, to make sure the problem is solved. Could the water penetrate the concrete and seep through?

How can I find out where the water is coming from? The hole where the water shows is 2-3 meters from the front of the house.

There is also a neighbours roof down pipe on the neighbours side of the ally way. The downpipe is going into the ground. I’m not sure, if it goes to a drain or just let loose below the surface.
I would have thought it is more likely the water is coming from the roof down pipe (shared for two semi detached houses), how likely is that the pipe is not going to any drain? The houses are from 1930 - 40.

I am attaching pictures of most of what’s what and I hope someone can give some suggestions. Just seems a never ending saga.

Inside hole - You probably can't see the water, but its standing at the bottom.

Where the old gully was

neighbours down pipe is on the other side of the fence. roughly where the gate in the picture is.

Sponsored Links
I have bought a house recently and I noticed signs of damp on the edges of floor boards of the external wall.

Have you got any photos specifically of the damp floorboards where they meet the external wall? I am assuming, from the age of your house, that your external walls are cavity construction? Can you confirm the cavity size and that they are clear?

I have bought a house recently and I noticed signs of damp on the edges of floor boards of the external wall.

Have you got any photos specifically of the damp floorboards where they meet the external wall? I am assuming, from the age of your house, that your external walls are cavity construction? Can you confirm the cavity size and that they are clear?

Well the damp floor boards do not exactally meet the out side wall. There is a small storage space (the inside photo is of this store dug up) there is also a downstairs toilet next to this store. both these areas had concrete floor. The floor boards get damp at edges where they meet the concrete floors of the store and the toilet.

The water is rising up the soil fill of the these areas. Obviously the floor boards next to the dug up part, don't get wet anymore. As there is no soil for the water to rise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back