Finish on interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is hopefully an easy question but I've struggled to find an answer so far!

We've recently had some interior pine doors fitted from Howdens. These ones:

https://www.howdens.com/doors-joine...internal-softwood-doors/sa-clear-pine-glazed/

We're very happy with them and are considering what to finish them with. We've ruled out painting or staining so I guess we're looking at varnishing them.

Our joiner wasn't sure what product would be best and suggested asking Howdens. I popped into my local branch but all they did was read what it says in the brochure: "Suitable for staining, painting or varnishing". I could have done that myself!

So does anyone know what product would be best?

In particular, could we use Danish Oil? The reason I ask is we've recently used this on our oak staircase.

Sponsored Links
You can oil them, best done flat to avoid drips. Several applications can be done in a few hours as it dries and is absorbed quickly.

Oil won't cause the door to fall apart, will it? That is what prompted my query! Some things on line saying oil will melt the glue or something?

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks.

I read somewhere that Danish Oil on pine will reallybring out the yellow of the wood. I'm now wondering whether a specific Oak-coloured stain/varnish would better match our oak staircase... Any advice?

Great, thanks.

I read somewhere that Danish Oil on pine will reallybring out the yellow of the wood. I'm now wondering whether a specific Oak-coloured stain/varnish would better match our oak staircase... Any advice?

Take the door off its hinges and do a sample patch on the bottom edge.

You'll need to take the door off to work on it flat anyway.

Do I have to take the doors off? I'd really rather not...

The panes have plastic on them to protect them. Can I not just apply the oil vertically?

Great, thanks.

You can add wood dye to danish oil to darken, it does dilute the colour, so for an oak pale effect, dark oak would be needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back