Fire Door Handles (Again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having searched everywhere (including this forum) I cannot find anything explicitly documented to say if the handles for internal fire doors need any special rating. A previous poster on here got the steer that standard handles should be fine, however I'm after something a little more concrete given I'm about to order 17 sets of handles, with most of them having to go on fire doors.

Is there any standard I should be aware of? I've found references to essential hardware, but that doesn't include the handles specifically. Some suppliers show stock of fire rated handles, but most do not, leading me to think it's a marketing gimmick.

Sorry for asking a similar question again, but I thought someone might have some specific knowledge in this area.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, normal dwelling extension, part new build part existing. FD30 doors required due to a protected staircase into the loft and a council that is unwilling to accept anything other than a protected staircase such as mains connected fire alarms etc.

Sponsored Links
I think that you are not going to find anything that implicitly states that "it is okay to use normal door handles". This is because there is no door handle fire spec for home doors. And this is because it is the door that is providing the fire protection (slowing the transmission of fire to other rooms) and the handle makes no relation to slowing or speeding transmission. When I have had firedoors fitted, BC were only concerned about spec of door, if firestrips needed, and if autoclose needed. No mention made of door handle. As I had wired smoke alarm also fitted (to every room in house) only needed normal fire door (but note, BC and specs change with location and time so this may be different for you).

Regarding the wired smoke alarm I have found this useful (some seem to hate the idea?), but I would recommend a silencer button to also be fitted. On most systems this silences all the alarms expect the one(s) that have detected the smoke. Has been useful to stop waking others in house when smoke from Oven has got into other room (ie my fault), and useful to know which room has smoke in so can move away from that room (ie when a real alarm) as after button pressed only alarms sensing smoke continue to sound.

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back