Fire door height regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a legal height requirement for a fire door? We're converting half of a double garage into a habitable room. There is a dividing wall down the middle of the garage with an existing door way (no door or door casing/frame). Because we have installed a floating floor we now need to take 5" off the height of the door. The alternative would be to make the door way bigger and fitting a new lintel but i'd rather not if there is no obligation to do so.

Sponsored Links
Unless it's in a non domestic building and it's on a fire escape route, then it would be 2m clear.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks all.
indeed it is a bad bodge but just above the door lintel is a steel lintel that runs the entire length of the house.
our builder said he's never seen anything like it and it would be easier to block up the door way and make a new one further down the wall.
at the end of the day its a door way into the garage so I can live with it.

i'll just open the garage door if you want to be in my garage. surely that's big enough for your head & hat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back