Fire wire with DVD and Hard drive recorder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My camera uses fire wire so that is a must. Don't care about freeview always use sky+ so any programs recorded will be either scart or HDMI or RF analogue transfer don't even have an aerial up.

Want to be able to record onto HD then transfer onto DVD like my old Philips did cutting out adverts manually or bad bits of DV recorded with camera.

Philips now US want a replacement but it's the fire wire requirement which seems to be problem.

Any ideas of suitable unit. If has freeview bonus but not required. TV is Panasonic already have a Blueray player with internet link plus sky+ has internet so not worried about internet link.

It is all to do with my Sony DCR-HC22E HandyCam I have always used the Philips DVDR3440H HDD & DVD Player / Recorder and when that failed looked for another method to transfer. My Sony PCG-8131M laptop runs Vista and USB with DCR-HC22E stopped with XP so no drivers. Fire wire just does not see the DCR-HC22E never had aerial lead that would be an option if I had one as do have a scart to RF unit.

I have component output from camera but no component input to PC. So wonder if a simple component to USB adaptor is way to go simple some thing like this.

index.php

I am not worried about super high quality it's just camcorder easier to carry than Nikon D7000 SLR and less of a security problem.

Open to ideas.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but Firewire is a dead interface connection as far as DVD recorders go now. You're expected to have USB or some form of removable media. That's no good for us with legacy DV camcorders but it's the state of things.

You could use the Easycap with a laptop PC. It does seem a shame though to drop so much quality. The DV cam records digitally, so it makes more sense to keep the information in digital form rather than playing out in analogue just capture and then convert back to digital again.

Have you thought about a Firewire adapter for the computer?

If you have a desktop PC with a spare PCI socket, or a laptop with a PCMCIA slot then you can get add-on cards for the computer that will give you a Firewire port.

Unfortunately, I can't understand what you are asking but I use an Apple MacBook Pro for video editing, loaded from a camcorder via the Firewire port. I hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
So far so good found the fire wire cable was faulty tried another cable and uploaded a treat onto laptop.

So next is how to edit. At Moment using ArcSoft MediaImpression but sure some where I have something better. The Mpeg quality was too low.

Tried Video editor it just stalled. Paint Shop Pro would not load it.

It would seem I need to convert to MP4 or something smaller than AVI 10 GB is really too big of a file unless I burn to Blue Ray and never tried burning a Blue Ray to date DVD is best quality I have tried.

Up to date always used the standalone DVD recorder with hard drive to edit and record onto DVD never used PC before I have found Windows Movie Maker but not really any idea of how to use it.

Often I have been taking video and taking stills at the same time and so some bits are not really straight so need to edit them and cut out bad bits at least.

Really new to this. Stills great but video is all new to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back