Fireplace fitting (not gas) advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a fireplace like this.
http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalo...replace-jubilee-arch-and-gas-fire-p-2400.html
brompton_fireplace_jubilee_arch.jpg

Limestone surround, cast iron insert, granite hearth, and I have the electric unit, not gas.

I found a nice price and thought I'd be able to install it a piece of cake, I already have the correct size opening in the wall etc. A fused electric spur ready in place. But the construction of it is making me think twice.

Like for example, it will sit on floorboards, not a solid floor. So what do I fix the hearth to the floor with, does it sit on a bed of something?

And then there's the insert and surround (the surround comes in 3 pieces), I don't know what the usual method is to secure these to the wall.

I had thought about getting a tradesman in to do it, but most fireplace fitters seem to be gas safe, so I'm paying for a premium of their time without requiring that costly gas skill. So for what I perceive to be a simple installation for a fitter, especially since the area is already prepared, seems expensive. With quotes of £250!

Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

HN.

Sponsored Links
You can just sit the hearth on floor boards, granite will not move around, you can add a touch of adhesive but not really required.

hi hockeynut i put up a similar thing a few months back, but its comglomerate not marble.bed of mortar then screwed the side columns and mantlepiece to the wall.the brackets previously used were loose and so i refixed them to the inside of the columns near the top with sticks like s$it adhesive, needed a day to go off.then used radiator bracket bolts not screws and tightened them with a small ratchet, same with the mantlepiece. i thought it was ok for my first attempt until i realised what the bloke who sold it to me said about using a balanced flue fire and the fooking opening is bigger than 22.4ins x 16ins.
im currently looking for a new backplate to overfill with the correct size opening.doh.
finished the joints with ivory mastic
i am trying to add the photos from my album to the post but im struggling View media item 32448 View media item 32447 View media item 32446

hi hockeynut i put up a similar thing a few months back, but its comglomerate not marble.bed of mortar then screwed the side columns and mantlepiece to the wall.the brackets previously used were loose and so i refixed them to the inside of the columns near the top with sticks like s$it adhesive, needed a day to go off.then used radiator bracket bolts not screws and tightened them with a small ratchet, same with the mantlepiece. i thought it was ok for my first attempt until i realised what the bloke who sold it to me said about using a balanced flue fire and the fooking opening is bigger than 22.4ins x 16ins.
im currently looking for a new backplate to overfill with the correct size opening.doh.
finished the joints with ivory mastic
i am trying to add the photos from my album to the post but im struggling

I was going to do that for you, but you have a private profile!

Sponsored Links
i thought it was ok for my first attempt until i realised what the bloke who sold it to me said about using a balanced flue fire and the fooking opening is bigger than 22.4ins x 16ins.have a private profile![/quote]

Are you saying that you ate going to FIT a BF fire, or the surround was PREVIOUYSLY used for a BF?

the surround was previously used for a BF fire and i did not measure the opening when i went to collect it.fitted it and standing there thinking not too bad for a first attempt, and it was not too long after this that i found out about the opening.
i think ive got two choices, rip out and start again, pita as decorated the room now or find a back plate of a similar or contrasting colour, cut to size and fix in place with wall board adhesive ( a tip offered by a marble supply bloke)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back