Firewall Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using Sygate's personal firewall and tonight having spent many hours on the internet here on diynot i decided to download the latest definitions files for spybot and ad aware and recieved an error dialog that the port wasn't open, i realised that the firewall was to blame and this realisation made me find out that the firewall icon had disappeared from the taskbar whether i accidently turned it off or not i'm not sure on running sygate again downloading was allowed but the question is although i wasn't able to down load as the port wasn't accepting data due to sygate not running as you would expect, how come internet traffic wasn't blocked also? ie i shouldn't be allowed to surf if the firewall isn't running should i? does this mean that sygate isn't affording me the protection when surfing i thought it was? or is internet data treated differently to actual files being downloaded?

Sponsored Links
I had the same thing today, except I use Trend PC Cillin. I noticed that the firewall wasn't running at all :eek: and it was greyed out in the settings. Had to do a system restore back to yesterday to sort it. Gonna keep a beady eye on it over the next few days.

gcol said:
I had the same thing today, except I use Trend PC Cillin. I noticed that the firewall wasn't running at all :eek: and it was greyed out in the settings. Had to do a system restore back to yesterday to sort it. Gonna keep a beady eye on it over the next few days.
were you still able to access the net whilst the firewall wasn't running?

Yeah I was, God only know what I picked up! Nothing apparent yet though. I have contacted Trend Micro and asked them what's going on. I'll post back if they reply.

Sponsored Links
kendor
that is very strange :)

I use Sygate firewall pro ..... had no probs EVER ,

had you allowed any new running applications , I only allow the browser an multi proxy too run, everything else has to ask ..lol :)

Ok Kendor, here's the reply from Trend Micro:

Dear Sir,

Please try the following:

1. Check for virus and/or spyware infection.
2. Check for conflicts with other software and hardware.
3. Make sure the firewall is configured correctly.

**Checking for virus and/or spyware infection**

Some viruses and spywares prevent the firewall to function properly and may even disable the feature. Make sure the computer is not infected with viruses and spyware by doing the following:

Run HouseCall, Trend Micro's free virus online scan:
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/housecall/v6.5/

Run the free online Spyware Scan in the Trend Micro Anti-Spyware for the Web page:
http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

**Checking for conflicts with other software and hardware**

A conflict with a software and hardware installed in the computer where PC-cillin Internet Security is installed prevents the firewall from functioning properly.

Check for conflicts with the following:

Other Anti-virus programs
Most antivirus programs cause conflict because they use the same resources used by PC-cillin Internet Security. To avoid software conflict, make sure the computer has only one antivirus program.

Uninstall conflicting antivirus and firewall software.

Third Party Firewall
Running more than one firewall can slow or disable Internet connection because the firewall rules used by each software do not match and are conflicting with each other.

Uninstall conflicting firewall softwares.

Windows XP Firewall (if using Windows XP) The Windows XP firewall should be disabled to prevent issues with PC-cillin Internet Security firewall. To disable, refer to Disabling the Windows XP Firewall in a computer installed with Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security:
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=26174

Note: Most routers also have a built-in firewall. Contact the manufacturer of the router for information on how to disable the firewall.

If a firewall other than Trend Micro's firewall is being used, uninstall PC-cillin Internet Security:
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=22087

**Configuring the firewall correctly**

Verify the profile being used.
Internet connection issues may arise if the current profile does not apply to the current Internet settings. To check if the correct profile is being used, refer Unable to connect to the Internet after installing Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet
Security: http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=24578

Make sure Port 80 is selected in the Exception list.
Port 80 is the port commonly used for Internet connection. To make sure the port is selected in the current profile, refer to Including Port 80 in the Exception list of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security:
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=26182

Verify the Security Level

All incoming traffic is blocked when the security is set to High, unless exceptions are made. Medium security is the recommended setting that will resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Mark
Trend Micro Support

Hope this is of some help to you,
Gcol

The software firewall, if not running, offers no protection I would have thought.

Are you sure it was not running?

I have noticed on the very odd occasion that my ZAP does not appear to be properly active .. I allow it to show a pop-up when 'privacy settings' interfere with a web site I am visiting ... This, tends to remind me there is a good chance the 'wall' is active, and outweighs the intrusion of the little pop-up .. which disappears of it's own accord after a few seconds.

Can you not set up a similar 'flag waver' with 'Sygate'?

Thanks for the advice guys.
I was concerned that it was blocking certain file downloads but not internet traffic data when the firewall was down and one would have expected zero access to anything until it was up and running again? not sure about the flag waving existing with sygate but will take a deeper look.

What are your windows IE settings reference downloads?
Do you use a different browser?

How do they co-exist with the firewall?

Just a few points to be aware of really.

zapP-1.jpg

This is the ZAP 'privacy advisor' flag .. Helps to decide which blocked items may be interfering with the current web site visited, enables one to decide which items to unblock etc.
;)

empip said:
What are your windows IE settings reference downloads?
Do you use a different browser?

How do they co-exist with the firewall?

Just a few points to be aware of really.

zapP-1.jpg

This is the ZAP 'privacy advisor' flag .. Helps to decide which blocked items may be interfering with the current web site visited, enables one to decide which items to unblock etc.
;)
i might well go back to using zone alarm again looking at this feature it seems helpful

You didn't find a black hat in your hall or even worse an empty Stella can under the PC?
Kes may have paid a visit down yer wire... :D :D

Nah, Van Dyke is orf chasing that Great White again ... no doubt.
:D :D

Moz said:
lol @ empip kendor :) :)

Seen Richard van Dyke on your surfs Moz? Reckon the Shark might have been spotted again down around twitcher's paradise ... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back