Firewalls

Sponsored Links
Hardware firewall is easily enough.
Even enabling windows firewall if you want.
No real need for 3rd party firewall on each pc as well though, thats just overkill.

If they are free, its up to the OP, but i've never done it for work or business, and never will....as long as i configure the nat firewall correctly.

No real need for 3rd party firewall on each pc as well though, thats just overkill.

If they are free, its up to the OP, but i've never done it for work or business, and never will....as long as i configure the nat firewall correctly.

No such thing as overkill in the world of security, I'm afraid - unless it relates to running multiple memory resident services that conflict (i.e. multiple AV clients, etc.).

Hardware firewalls in domestic routers vary in their capabilities. All will do packet filtering at the most basic level, most will manage stateful packet inspection, very few are application aware and only expensive professional firewalls will provide full security including intrusion prevention and detection services. A software firewall adds a second layer of protection as well as application awareness, protecting the machine against inadvertent damage from within the network as well as without. Professional security is always multi-layered using a perimeter firewall as its primary defence with zone firewalls where necessary, ACL controlled VLAN separation of networks and going right down to managed software firewalls.

NAT has nothing to do with firewalls and doesn't provide security per se - it just hides the internal addressing scheme from the casual observer.

I always recommend a decent software firewall. It adds very little to processing overheads and a great deal to system security and peace of mind. :D

It was a netgear router that I used as this was specified by Virgin Media my internet provider, but no success with that or a belkin.
The PC for home and not used for business.

Sponsored Links

No such thing as overkill in the world of security, I'm afraid - unless it relates to running multiple memory resident services that conflict (i.e. multiple AV clients, etc.).

Hardware firewalls in domestic routers vary in their capabilities. All will do packet filtering at the most basic level, most will manage stateful packet inspection, very few are application aware and only expensive professional firewalls will provide full security including intrusion prevention and detection services. A software firewall adds a second layer of protection as well as application awareness, protecting the machine against inadvertent damage from within the network as well as without. Professional security is always multi-layered using a perimeter firewall as its primary defence with zone firewalls where necessary, ACL controlled VLAN separation of networks and going right down to managed software firewalls.

NAT has nothing to do with firewalls and doesn't provide security per se - it just hides the internal addressing scheme from the casual observer.

I always recommend a decent software firewall. It adds very little to processing overheads and a great deal to system security and peace of mind. :D

Way to try and trash my post by spouting techno-babble that you know the OP won't understand :rolleyes:

I run a network of 6 servers and 70 clients, 3rd party firewalls or even windows firewall are not active on the clients, they are only active on laptops that move away from the network. Never had a problem.
My home network uses a Netgear router with a 'non-professional' grade firewall enabled (although all ports/services are closed until configure to open). Non of my 7 clients use any other firewall software. Never had a problem.
I mentioned NAT purely as a way of 'naming' the firewall i use. I also have one that doesn't run NAT. NAT does add a certain level of security though, as you said, just by hiding the lan behind one public IP.

Feel free to advice the OP to download and install this, that and the other. He may well do that.
Then he'll probably be back asking why certain progs won't work or pass-through correctly because they are blocked, and with his self-admitted limited knowledge on the subject he may not know which firewall is not configured correctly and why.
I'm sure you and the rest of us will be here to help......but i'll wager he has better things to do with his time.

Out.

No, no "techno-babble" just good advice. If your ego is that fragile then sorry, but you need to grow up.

I'm an information security manager for an organisation that has over 50 servers of mixed OS and platform, a client base of around a thousand over a network using fibre, copper, microwave, licensed radio, WiFi and copper and we use layered security as do all of my peers in similar organisations. That's the professional approach.

I always recommend hardware and software firewalls and for good reason.

Firewalls don't use NAT, by the way. Routers do though.

No, no "techno-babble" just good advice. .
Come on Tonka. There is no doubt that what have written is factually correct, but the OP struggled to download and install the firewall. Do you really think he understands (or needs to understand) packet filtering, stateful packet inspection and FW's being application aware? Definitely not, and in the OP's opinion I am sure that would be classed as 'Techno babble'.

If you can't accept that then it is you who has the fragile ego my friend.

Come on Tonka. There is no doubt that what have written is factually correct, but the OP struggled to download and install the firewall. Do you really think he understands (or needs to understand) packet filtering, stateful packet inspection and FW's being application aware? Definitely not, and in the OP's opinion I am sure that would be classed as 'Techno babble'.

Tosh. :p

My reply was to kjacko who said that using a software firewall was overkill - it simply isn't. It's good practice and good advice. My reply wasn't techno-babble it was an accurate description and again, was primarily intended as a reply to kjacko - that should have been obvious from the context anyway. I wasn't the one to spit my dummy out ;)

As for being over complicated for the OP, all of the decent software firewalls have both a simple and advanced mode - the simple mode needs no real knowledge or expertise to use. They are designed for non-technical users. ;)

The OP will make his own decision anyway. All anyone offering assistance here can do is offer honest advice based on (hopefully) an understanding of the subject.

Tosh. :p

My reply was to kjacko who said that using a software firewall was overkill - it simply isn't. It's good practice and good advice. My reply wasn't techno-babble it was an accurate description and again, was primarily intended as a reply to kjacko - that should have been obvious from the context anyway. I wasn't the one to spit my dummy out ;)

As for being over complicated for the OP, all of the decent software firewalls have both a simple and advanced mode - the simple mode needs no real knowledge or expertise to use. They are designed for non-technical users. ;)

The OP will make his own decision anyway. All anyone offering assistance here can do is offer honest advice based on (hopefully) an understanding of the subject.

I didn't spit the dummy at all tonka. What was clearly day-to-day language for you would almost certainly confuse the OP and anyone else who was/is uneducated enough to ask a similar question.
As i said i work in I.T. but it was too much for me to read too. There's no ego inolved here for my part, we simply want to help the OP. Stateful packet filtering? How on earth is the OP to understand that?
I have no doubt that you know infinitely more about security than i. You even picked apart my mention of nat, pretty much knowing what i meant, without having to go the extra length to factually correct me, which the OP wouldn't know, pickup on or even care for in this situation. Kudos to you...and your ego!
However, there is still no need for the heavy wordage and implementations you suggest.
I have no need to grow up any more....growing older is enough for me thanks!
I advised on a basic level, you chose to be pompous and conceited about it spouting glossary terms. Use your extensive knowledge by all means, but try and explain in laymans terms to a human. It might just work.

Box; thanks for the support mate, its obvious i'm not the only one who thought this way.

If using Vista or Windows 7, the existing firewall isn't bad when used in conjunction with Sphinx. This isn't a firewall in itself but it adds an easy way of creating simple rules for inbound/outbound data. In other words, you'll be alerted if anything tries to phone home or connect to the Internet. Options are given to either allow or block it. Free and paid versions of Sphinx are available. Read about it here:

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/

I am confused :confused:
but lets not fall out about it, as far as I'm concerned you are all right.
I need a simple Firewall application that suits my current set up if microsoft essentials to does the anti-virus/spyware stuff and me PC is run using windowsXP and the modem is a webstar with USB and RF connection
I have tried PC Tools, but for some reason will not allow me on the internet on restart.

The Comodo firewall is about as good as they get. You have to download the entire security suite (anti-virus plus firewall) but during the installation, you can select what you want to install. It's very straightforward.

You can get it from here:

http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=firewall[/QUOTE]
I've downloaded this last night, still no joy can't get internet connection.
I followed the prompts and only installed the firewall, turned off the microsoft firewall pre-installed and won't let me connect, sometimes I get onto say this forum but as soon as I pick a topic, it disconnects me, but sometimes just no connection at all. :cry:
I didn't block anything, allowed all the application I use.

The firewall can be temporarily disabled to ascertain whether it is causing connection problems. To do this, right click the Comodo icon (white shield) in the system tray (bottom right hand side of your screen), take a note of the firewall security setting so that you can return it to where it was and then click firewall security level - disabled. If you still have connection problems then the firewall isn't at fault.

Disabled, Firewall safety level(safe mode) and can get on the internet no problem.
what I have found is when I reset back to safe mode, try to connect to net, this appears;
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
I go through diagnosis, run and finish and lets me on but if I was on this website, every time I go to view another post this
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" appears again. Most frustrating.
I have to run diagnosis and finish every time :mad:

Sponsored Links
Back