1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

First bathroom project

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Adrian78, 18 Jul 2010.

1. Adrian78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Everyone,

Hope you don't mind me posting my first ever housing DIY project - I might need some help!

I intend just to post what I have done so far - is it ok to ask for advice along the way? I don't want to break any etiquette rule on my first post..

In a nut shell I have recently purchased my first home and it requires a fair bit of DIY work - the bathroom is my most pressing project as it is a mess quite frankly..! :eek:

I have to be a frugle as possible really, as the whole house needs time and cashing spending on it so I am aiming to recycle as much as I can to keep the costs as small as possible while trying to get a reasonable end result. - It's never going to look super posh / brilliant, but I do want it to look reasonable :)

Don't laugh! The story so far...

- I have replace the toilet seat and scrubbed off 4 tons of lime scale off both toilet and sink - I am going to reuse both of these items
    - Today and yesterday I have been tackling replacing my taps on my sink – unfortunately I was unable to remove one of the taps so I had to remove the whole sink in the end (bend with your knees kids! - sore back..)

Pictures to follow:-

I am really interested to know how to fill the gaps around the plaster board?

And whether I can simply rotate the soil stack as I intend moving the loo..

2. Adrian78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Adrian78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If anyone has a few pointers I would really appreciate it

Many thanks in advance

:)

4. Adrian78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In the spirit of this forum, I will continue to update this post with information on how I achieved the end result (when I get there :) - and the gotcha's! I discovered along the way to try and help other newbies from tripping similarly :)

5. Adrian78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry guys - I had pretty much give up on this forum due to lack of responses etc.

Progress is very slow as I am having to learn all this from scratch - last weekend I removed all the old tile adhesive and the section of old tiles at the back of the bath room:-

[​IMG]

For those who don't know, to remove tile adhesive you need a hot air gun, a scraper and plenty of patience!

Next I need to finish the tiles on the left hand wall and figure out how to move the toilet :)

6. 1john

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could try and post your queries in the relevant forums for more or at least some advice :) Good luck with the project, dont rush anything, take your time, work at a pace that suits you and you can have a professional finish.

7. Mark Br

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As 1John has said - I doesn't look like many people read this board, therefore if you are looking for advice you would be better off posting in the Plumbing section.

8. Adrian78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice - I certainly am going to take my time as it is all completely new to me :)

Sorry, I will try posting questions in the correct forum topic - thanks for your support :D

9. inkypinky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    wondering how your project has gone...did you moved this thread somewhere or posted an update on a blog.