First House, dodgy garage wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am looking at buying my first house and not sure about the wiring for the garage. They appear to have done a DIY job and changed a single plug socket in the lounge into a switch which works the garage power. We want to use the garage for our tumble drier and I am really not convinced that this wiring is fit for purpose. I couldn't even get the power to work in the garage, even when I flicked the switch. Would be grateful if anyone could give me some ideas on what I could do to have this rectified.

Thanks.

DSCN1737_zpscvgimb2c.jpg

DSCN1730_zpssb1y2dfm.jpg

DSCN1748_zpsnhouimyt.jpg

DSCN1745_zpsguy8img2.jpg

Sponsored Links
It needs ripping out an new supply cable routing to the garage that is suitable for the cable route direct from its own breaker on the consumer unit.

It's nothing to worry about; just negotiate a reduction in the price to refelect the need for a rewire to the garage. Have a chat with a couple of local electricians, and see what it'll cost taking into account that you'll very likely need a larer consumer unit as well.

It's nothing to worry about; just negotiate a reduction in the price to refelect the need for a rewire to the garage. Have a chat with a couple of local electricians, and see what it'll cost taking into account that you'll very likely need a larer consumer unit as well.

M, good luck with that :rolleyes:…… in the great scheme of things its buttons.

DS

Sponsored Links
Obviously a new consumer unit (within the last 12 months) WHY would the electrician skimp and leave no spare ways.

That should have been at least a 12-way board. The price difference is negligible :mad:

1&5 are probably spare. Looks like a 'fully loaded' effort from a DIY shed with a couple of the MCBs swapped for 16A ones.
Socket arrangement suggests previous storage heater circuits.
Likely there is a shared neutral on the lighting circuits as well - why put them both on the same side otherwise?

Yup on closer inspection I'd concur with all of that. Damned shared neutrals. Damn all you old timers that wired lights like that back in the day! (I'm sure there's something we do now that in 10-15 years will be a complete PITA too)

Yup on closer inspection I'd concur with all of that. Damned shared neutrals. Damn all you old timers that wired lights like that back in the day! (I'm sure there's something we do now that in 10-15 years will be a complete PITA too)

We already do - Ring Finals :)

That would appease me somewhat, but an indication they are spares wouldn't have gone amiss.
Interesting. I personally agree, but I seem to recall that, quite recently, someone was moaning about people who wroite "SPARE" all over the spare labels :)

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. I personally agree, but I seem to recall that, quite recently, someone was moaning about people who wroite "SPARE" all over the spare labels :)

Kind Regards, John
Totally agree, if it's in pen. Nothing wrong with a faint pencil label saying spare. Don't know about MK boards, but Wylex come with little blank squares that go over the way labels, so you can stick one of those, say above the actual way label and write spare on that. There's always a way.

No issue with them putting MCBs not blanks in, I like it when they're labelled properly. Could be handy in 10+ yeas time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back