First Time Self Build - No Experience !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, Im well through my project of a pair of 4 bed semis.At present its watertight and I am doing 1st fix electrics and plumbing.
Having no building experience I wasn't sure what to expect, but Im the kind that recognizes things for what they are which is that most things are just nuts and bolts and bricks and wood, so I just get stuck in.

Any one else thinking of doing it, don't be scared just crack on- having straight talking lads who are on new build sites helps, and everything will just click into place.

Make sure you know what your building inspector drinks so its always a welcome voice through the dozens of calls you'll be making to him.

My budget will hit approx 110k for the total build so happy with that- the only savings i could have made was going for less spec or inferior materials- but I wanted to be proud of the build and made some decisions with my heart instead of my wallet

Sponsored Links
I've never seen 40k before :eek: Where was it kept? Under your mattress?

Nice work there buddy. So what aspect of the build did you do? Was it pretty much everything we see in the photos or did you get help to erect the main building?
Personally I'd probably need help building the basic shell excluding the joinery then do the rest of the work myself.

Nice to see something like this going on and I admire your approach. Nuts and bolts and bricks and wood, get stuck in! You're a hands on chap then I take it and always eager to get involved?

Sponsored Links
Great project, and well timed for the indoor work when it is cold. Keep updating, and think of tips for the rest of us.

Looks great, really jealous of your project, I'm really eager to do a self build myself, although I too have limited experience. People always scour at me when I tell them that though, so I'm glad I read about your project. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated!

nice job ,and your spot on its only nuts and bolts
i looked at self builds as just a big lego kit,i built two 15 months ago in london
they allowed me to sell up and move down to cornwall and carry on building
prior to the builds id only had experience in roofing but found it was all the same bulls...
the d/s would turn up and all i had to do was talk about old minis
(he turned up in one) and he was happy with everything
im just starting a build here in cornwall,if i can get a blocky
no one wants to travel more than ten miniutes! or they will have a look next time they are in the area
i pasked my local jewsons to put the word out to any block workers that came in...........nothing
my site is ready, i had to move existing drainage and storm pipes that ran through the site,then dug and poured the footings
no skills needed yet,but just cant get a blocky i think im gonna import my brother in law from essex

hey i say are you sure you have built this self build? its just my next door neighbour as the identical looking house. :eek: :eek: it was built in the 1970,s by the cowboys barratt homes :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back