fitment of toilet cistern to inner face out outer skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People.

I have attached a link below of the concealed cistern I intend to fit behind a new toilet in a new single story extension The new walls are to be brick, cavity and block.

http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...n=googlebase&gclid=CLrhr_m8ysECFUPLtAodLFkA2A

This cistern has insulating polystyrene fitted and therefore I would suggest this cistern could be mounted to the inner face of the external skin. ie in the cavity.

This will mean that the U value at this particular point will be less than the rest of the wall which will contain insulation material. Do you believe that the building inspector will make an issue of this as we are talking of an area the size of 0.8mm2 or could we increase the overall insulation within the 'roof void' of my new extension to compensate for this loss. Are the council prepared to listen to 'reasoned alternatives' if presented.

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
You are allowed to have lower U-values in small areas, as long as you are prepared to compensate with additional insulation elsewhere. But even so, the guidance to the Building Regs advises that you do not have any area of wall with a U-value of worse than 0.7.
You may find you get condensation around the cistern.

Tony,

Generally speaking do Building Inspector's listen to reasoned cases for inclusion of solutions like I have provided or are their interpretations of the building regs absolutely rigid.

I don't want a cistern that fails but with proper protection and additional insulation I am hoping the Building Inspector will see the merits of my solution.

Cheers

Pau

The thermal insulation regs require 'reasonable provision' to be made. This gives the inspector some scope for flexibility and a proper inspector would let that pass.

If you have space heating and decent ventilation, you will probably be OK in practice, even if perhaps a little outside the rules; let's hope you don't have an inspector who just quotes those rules!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back