fitted new pump cant bleed rads no air or water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right fitted a new pump after old one failing due to taking off a radiator and there being air in the system i cant get anything out the radiators if i leave it for a while and go back to the rads i get air out some of them

its an open system and i have been up to the tank the tank is full and i have checked the ball cock is working

its just taking forever to fill up the rads surley it should not take this long to bleed some rads and get me hot water back the mrs is none to cuffed ah can tell ya lol

Sponsored Links
What does your pump sound like? try turning it up to three.

i dont want to turn my pump on as have just fitted a new one and i dontthink there is water in the system if i turn the pump on it will kill the pump will it not

the easiest way to check the system is full is to open the drain valve slightly, and check the loft to see if the F&E tank is refilling the system, if not you have a blockage, whack the poper on to the pump for a minute or two to see if you can move the air/blockage you wont harm the pump

Sponsored Links
i have no drain cock i had to take of a rad and open a valve and drain the system that way and it didnt quite work still got water coming out when i changed the pump i think there must be a block somewhere because when i left it overnight and then bled the rads they all bled fine but that was when my pump gave up the gohst because i had been running it with no water in it

turn off system electricals
tie up ball valve in expansion tank and bucket out the the water
locate where the Feed Pipe joins the system.
cut pipe approximately 150mm above point where it connects to system
(have old towels and water containers to hand)
using a screw driver make sure pipe is clear up and down where cold feed connects into system
sometimes this can only be cleared by cutting out and replacing the pipe.
reconnect pipe, add corrosion inhibitor and refill system, check for leaks, vent system turn on system and have a shower with hot water

and if you run your pump when the system is not full of water, it will wear out and you have have to buy yet another.

Bale out the mud from the F&E in the loft and sponge it clean first, no point in adding yet more dirt and sludge to the system.

If you hold a strong magnet against the copper pipes, you will find it is attracted to the blockage, as this is usually a hardened mass of black iron oxide. It it almost always at the tee where the 15mm F&E pipe from the loft tank joins the main circulating pipes. This will probably be close to the pump.

After you have cut out the blocked section, and the water is circulating properly, use a sludge clearing chemical cleaner to wash away more of the old sludge that will be resident in the pipes, radiators and boiler. Drain and rinse this before your final fill with a corrosion inhibitor such as Sentinel X100

If your system has a lot of black sludge in it, and you can afford an extra £100, fit a Magnaclean on a vertical return pipe. I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted to see how much sludge it traps, even after you think the system is clean.

have a read of boiler and central heating faq's at the top of this forum items 12 and 24

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back