Fitted Outside Tap now Toilet is Noisy grrrrrrrr

rvp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help us here.

I have just fitted an outside tap, no problems there teeing off the cold water feed under the sink downstairs works ok however the toilet now makes an awful racket when flushed/filling back up :(

I had no issues before installing the tap, any ideas? just to mention, If I isolate the outside tap the noise goes away.

It is very annoying.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Have you fitted a stop tap to isolate the outside supply? My money is on that, it's causing water hammer. Try shutting the stop tap down slightly, or if all else fails, replace it and see what happens.

• Thanks
Reactions: rvp
Have you fitted a stop tap to isolate the outside supply? My money is on that, it's causing water hammer. Try shutting the stop tap down slightly, or if all else fails, replace it and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply.

I fitted a isolation tee valve which basically is a stop tap and when I shut this off the toilet is fine.

It's only If I leave this open that I have issues.

Try closing it slightly as suggested above.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Still water hammer, somewhere you have the 'jumper', (that's the washer on the brass housing) vibrating akin to a reed in a woodwind instrument, the pipework echo's and amplifies the noise, leading to what you're hearing. If all else fails, change the float valve in the Toilet and see if that cures it.

• Thanks
I fitted a isolation tee valve

It's only If I leave this open that I have issues.
Is that part of a kit with a flexible connection to the o/s tap. Could be that flexi causing the hammering - anyway changing the cistern fill valve for a fluidmaster will be good - did you turn the main water tap on more than when you started?

• Thanks
Oh my, ask Jeff whar diy task he's had do to do today, mow the lawn ? Clean the patio . No , he had to unblock the Loo , he was heaving , not a proper plumber !

Is it like a washing machine T with 3 compression ends? Self Cutting tap as Nige mentions a push fit ISO nonsense? If the only thing that's been added is the T and an outside feed then it's got to be the fitting that's creating the turbulence and hence the noise.

• Thanks
Thanks all for the replies much appreciated.

Here is a pic of what I've fitted, prior to this I had no toilet noise so it's 100% to do with this.

I have tried adjusting the shut off valve but only closing it fully does it stop the noise. If I run a cold tap though that also makes the noise go I must add.

If it's a new Valve with new olives why the PTFE tape? It's a misconception that PTFE tape goes onto the threads on a compression fitting, it's only ever required on a male to female connection, your PTFE isn't doing anything I'm afraid apart from making it harder to tighten.

You would only every really use maybe a little on the olive if it's being re-used.

Take it that flexi is off to connect to the outside feed pipe? Put a proper T in and then a proper ISO, drain and double check valve and see how that goes.

If it's a new Valve with new olives why the PTFE tape? It's a misconception that PTFE tape goes onto the threads on a compression fitting, it's only ever required on a male to female connection, your PTFE isn't doing anything I'm afraid apart from making it harder to tighten.

You would only every really use maybe a little on the olive if it's being re-used.

Take it that flexi is off to connect to the outside feed pipe? Put a proper T in and then a proper ISO, drain and double check valve and see how that goes.

Agreed on the Ptfe tape but that's me being over cautious on leaks! I shall look into getting rid of the flexible pipe to the Outside tap.

I don't see that fixing it to be honest but I shall try anything!

Try holding the flexipipe tightly as the toilet fills, and see if it reduces the problem. You've got a restriction as the water fills the toilet, and the pressure going through is feeding back to the flexipipe. Not sure if fitting an anti hammer tube between the tap, and the flexipipe will work, but you may have to resort to turning the tap on when you want to use the outside tap, and then turning it off afterwards.

Try turning that valve when watching your hosepipe or whatever for a just adequate flow and see if the toilet fills quietly if you do that.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back