fittin trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my pvc windows are a few years old but dont have trickle vents fitted, we suffer from condensation badly this time of year, how easy are they to fit as i can get vents but sum1 wanted 70 pound per window to fit, is it a long slot or series of holes?

Sponsored Links
Yes they can be a slot or a series of holes.

When the windows are made they'll use a machice similar to a router to form the slot but to retro fit them its way easier just to make holes. The only problem i can see is if your windows are steel reinforced, its not easy drill through steel when your perched up a ladder drilling inwards, i speak from experience :cry:

To fit them i would offer one up to the inside of the window, centralise it and make sure its level. Then mark underneath it where the 2 outermost holes would go, (obviously they have to be within the coverage of the vent), remove vent and start drilling 20 holes, the 2 outermost holes drill right through to the outside, this means you can nip out and draw a line between the 2 holes to use as a guide, the last thing you want is to drill all 20 holes from inside only to find the outer holes are all over the place.

Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
crank39";p="1457734 said:
Yes they can be a slot or a series of holes.

When the windows are made they'll use a machice similar to a router to form the slot but to retro fit them its way easier just to make holes. The only problem i can see is if your windows are steel reinforced, its not easy drill through steel when your perched up a ladder drilling inwards, i speak from experience :cry:

To fit them i would offer one up to the inside of the window, centralise it and make sure its level. Then mark underneath it where the 2 outermost holes would go, (obviously they have to be within the coverage of the vent), remove vent and start drilling 20 holes, the 2 outermost holes drill right through to the outside, this means you can nip out and draw a line between the 2 holes to use as a guide, the last thing you want is to drill all 20 holes from inside only to find the outer holes are all over the place.

Good luck :D

Very useful advice. I am sure it will work as well with holes as with a slot provided the Vent kit has a plane surface that sits on the frame.
Some trickle vent kits needs slots.
I asked this with a supplier who are sending me a free sample of a slim trickle vent kit to check if it will need cutting a long slot or just the holes will suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back