Fitting a Dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Following on from my last post, we're looking to buy a dishwasher in the very near future.

One thing has occurred to me though..... I'm going to remove an unused 60cm floor cupboard to house the dishwasher. Will this be OK for a full size (60cm) dishwasher? Or is more space required?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A 600mm wide dishwasher is exactly that - 600mm.
You may have to remove the cupboard carcass sides to achieve this width - a typical carcass thickness being 15mm.
John :)

Ugh - I feared that.

I presume built in dishwashers are designed to fit without removing the carcasse of the neighbouring units?

Well, the last one (cheapo Matsui) I fitted went inside a standard carcass - the machine came as a bare unit without side panels. I've no idea where it came from though.
There are slimline washers around (450mm if I recall) but they only have 8 place settings if that - rather than 12.

Sponsored Links
Bugger :cry:

So the chances of me sliding a 600mm machine into a 600.5mm gap are slim to anorexic.....

On a built in machine, will the door from a 600mm cupboard fit on the front panel?

Sorry if these a stupid questions, but I know nothing about units or dishawashers!

Well, 600mm machines are exactly that - just measured mine!!
Do you feel lucky?
I think you'll be ok with the door - but I'd be inclined to head for Comet or similar, tape measure in hand, to check it out!
Don't forget, you have the waste to sort, and also the cold water feed. The feed is usually simple enough as there is a space at the back of the machine for the inlet pipe.

Presume when joiners fit kitchens they leave a bit of a gap if they know an appliance is going in there?

Correct - but presumably carcasses designed particularly for this purpose have the size engineered in.....on the few kitchens I've done the built in appliances were supplied at the same time by the kitchen firm. I didn't really check on the internal sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back