Fitting a Magnaclean - Installation Location on System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From my examination of the Magnaclean installation guides, they recommend that the Magnaclean should only be fitted after the system vent pipe. I assume this is to comply with building regs, because the Magnaclean has isolation valves, and if closed, could stop the system venting?

My problem is, I dont have anywhere to fit the Magnaclean on the return pipework to the boiler (its all under floor), and the boiler is under a kitchen unit, with very little space.

The only location I can find is in the airing cupboard, just after the pump. Problem is, because all the pipework is either under the floor, or behind walls, I cant find where the vent pipe is connected to the system.

So I guess my question is, if I fit it in the airing cupboard just after the pump, would that cause any problems? I assume that no matter where its installed, the performance would be the same?

Sponsored Links
The vent would be before the pump, so you should be OK.

I assume that no matter where its installed, the performance would be the same?
Sure, it'll leak wherever you put it!

It is really far better fited on the return otherwise all dirt from the rads flows through the boiler before hopefully being ( partly ) trapped by the Magnaclean.

As long as its accessible there is no problem fitting it under the floor!

In fact on the ground floor thats a very good place as its less probablematic when it leaks!

Tony

As ChrisR says, the best way to keep your system working is to not fit the Magnaclean.

It is, ironically, the weakest link in any central heating system.

Sponsored Links
As ChrisR says, the best way to keep your system working is to not fit the Magnaclean.

It is, ironically, the weakest link in any central heating system.

Appreciate the advice, but to be honest, for every person denouncing the Magnaclean, there a similar amount praising it !

Perhaps you could expand on why you think its the weakest link in a heating system? ASIUI, the problem used to occur with the (red) isolation valves leaking, but that has been fixed with new valves.

I know there have been many, many thread & opinions on the Magnaclean v competitors, and likewise many opinion for and against.

For my part, I think its hard to refute the benefits, as the argument for fitting one, is very compelling, hence most major manufacturers advise fitting one in new installations.

Some on this forums do Landlord Safety Certs, Plumbing, and also Central Heating.

I just do Central Heating (plus some more specialized stuff) and have had a team of between 3 and 7 chaps putting boilers in over the last 8 years. So there are a few thousand of my boilers out there.

Many on this forum have more installation experience than me.

But when you read the responses you don't know whether the person has fitted 2 or 200 of the product.

All I can tell you is that around 3 out 4 Magnacleans we've fitted have needed replacement and that is just wholly unacceptable. I've heard on the grapevine that BG have had enough of them, but can't corroborate this.

The sticking valves are one problem, one of many. Unfortunately, any problems with Magnaclean normally result in a drain down, and that is expensive for everybody.

Adey's idea of a warranty is a new Magnaclean. They fit themselves, it seems.

For my part, I think its hard to refute the benefits, as the argument for fitting one, is very compelling, hence most major manufacturers advise fitting one in new installations.

Whilst you obviously know of your own arguments, my argument is that the system should be power flushed or otherwise cleaned so that a magnaclean is not needed.

I go to a lot of installations where the installer has not cleaned the system and instead charged the customer for a Magnaclean and expects it to be an alternative to proper cleaning!

Remember magnacleans have only been around for a few years! Before that everyone just cleaned the system properly.

Tony

Whilst you obviously know of your own arguments, my argument is that the system should be power flushed or otherwise cleaned so that a magnaclean is not needed.

I go to a lot of installations where the installer has not cleaned the system and instead charged the customer for a Magnaclean and expects it to be an alternative to proper cleaning!

Remember magnacleans have only been around for a few years! Before that everyone just cleaned the system properly.

Tony

Absolutely ! & Thanks

The system currently has sludge remover in it, and before fitting it, I intend taking off all the radiators, and flushing them through, then fitting new TRV's & lock shield valves. New pump and new boiler will follow in around 6 weeks. The Magnaclean is really to provide added safeguard to the system.

or more often, just left them full of dirt and sludge :cry:

Simons is correct BG have gven up on magnacleans now due to call backs, insurance claims for water damage and general **** poor quality. I had to swap a 12 month old unit as the magnet had separated and the lid once off, would go back on.

BG have moved over to spirotech magnaboosters from this month.

do you know what they charge for the Spiro, compared to the charge for a Magna?

do you know what they charge for the Spiro, compared to the charge for a Magna?

same price. its discounted until the end of may, £25 off. £231, usual price £256 for a 22mm sealed system.

what would you want to install a magnaleak sorry i mean magnacrap sorry i mean magnaclean

the truth be told magnacleans offer instant results as compared to some of its competition but instsllers dont like them because they have a very strong sense of leaking and cross threading even when being careful

i still do not understand why and how addey can not make the threads at least brass and keep the rest in crappy plastic if they so insist

Could I just close this thread (maybe) with an update:

The Magnaclean has now been on the system for a few weeks. I've also had all the radiators off and flushed them through thoroughly, then ran the system with sludge remover.

Ive had the Magnaclean off & on probably every few days, and to be quite frank I'm astounded at how much crap it was picking up.

Only now, its starting to have very little sludge on the nylon sleeve. Even after flushing the radiators, it was picking up loads of crap.

So in summary: easy to fit, easy to isolate, remove & clean, no leaks, easy to bleed, and simple for dosing the water with inhibitor.

I'm no central heating expert, but after the many posts on here advising against a Magnaclean, I thought it only correct that I follow-up my original post with the end result.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back