Fitting a Magnaclean - Installation Location on System

I'm no central heating expert, but after the many posts on here advising against a Magnaclean, I thought it only correct that I follow-up my original post with the end result.

But it isn't 'the end result'. You've had the thing two weeks, FFS.

That's the lifetime of an Asda sandwich, not a heating product.

Sponsored Links
You are a DIYer and we have no way of knowing how well you have cleaned your system.

Obviously the less clean it is the more dirt you can trap.

On a well cleaned system, possibly power flushed, there should not be much dirt to trap.

In any case they only attract magnetic dirt !

A line strainer will trap any dirt. Thats at a fraction of the cost.

I can agree that a magnaclean does make a convenient dosing point.

Tony

You are a DIYer and we have no way of knowing how well you have cleaned your system.

Obviously the less clean it is the more dirt you can trap.

On a well cleaned system, possibly power flushed, there should not be much dirt to trap.

In any case they only attract magnetic dirt !

A line strainer will trap any dirt. Thats at a fraction of the cost.

I can agree that a magnaclean does make a convenient dosing point.

Tony

Jeeso, I was only trying to helpful & objective with a follow-up !

Perhaps I'm a DIY'er, but being a Chartered Engineer, & having worked as a design engineer for many years, I'm not completely devoid of intelligence in these matters.

The original post was to gain advice on a product. Please remember, that not every one who asks for advice on here are complete Luddites.

To everyone who helped with advice - again, many thanks.

Perhaps I'm a DIY'er, but being a Chartered Engineer, & having worked as a design engineer for many years, I'm not completely devoid of intelligence in these matters.

The original post was to gain advice on a product. Please remember, that not every one who asks for advice on here are complete Luddites.

We used to have a retired boiler design engineer who posted on here under the names of Big Burner or Dr Drivel ( we liked that name as it was so appropriate ).

The things he used to say were so misleading that eventually the site had to ban him!

Merely having experience of designing other things does not make anyone an instant expert on boilers.

Treating dirt in boilers needs a considerable practical experience to know how to best do it and which chemicals to use in any particular case.

Tony

Sponsored Links

We used to have a retired boiler design engineer who posted on here under the names of Big Burner or Dr Drivel ( we liked that name as it was so appropriate ).

The things he used to say were so misleading that eventually the site had to ban him!

Merely having experience of designing other things does not make anyone an instant expert on boilers.

Treating dirt in boilers needs a considerable practical experience to know how to best do it and which chemicals to use in any particular case.

Tony

Well I'm truly sorry if Ive offended your ego, or my follow-up post doesn't match your experience or opinions of this product. I haven't offered any advice to anyone, and nor would I profess to be an expert in heating systems, so perhaps you should cut some people a wee bit of slack when they try to use some objectivity on an issue. Please dont class all professional engineers with one bad experience. I'm sure we all need help at some time, hence why would we be on here?

With so many references to 'we' in your reply, implies that you consider yourself as part of a professional cliche on here - thankfully, I've found this to be limited to a few self proclaiming egos.

Again, many thanks to all to all the helpful folk on here, who took the trouble to provide help & advice.

When I was looking at the magnafail last year, I'm reasonably sure that it had some sort of official award from an important "standards" group listed on the magnafail website, or perhaps I was already looking at the "other" device which is more appreciated, not that I can remember it!!

How can something go so bad in 8 months? Weird. It makes me concerned that some "standards" groups' are just not evaluating these things properly.

2 weeks isn't enough time for it to fall to pieces yet. Orings leak, lids seize on, magnets separate from lid, bleed screws don't seal well. Give it time

We purchased a load of magna clean's , they proved to be a bit of a disaster !!! changed another leaker on Monday has been fitted since xmas decided to leak , will not touch them again !!! use the Fernox filter's now TFI , the new adjustable Spirovent look's the buissness though all brass not plastic !!

Would suggest if anyone is flushing a system one of these is a must , you will never flush it all out , & the 20% u do not will be swirling around ??? somr old system's with the old school typre rad's you be hard pushed to flush properly any way , really dirty old system's iron pipe's ect connect the boiler to system through a plate exc is your best option , maybe ???

i quite like the magnacleans! :LOL: i've repaired a fair few but none of um have been a bad job, had worse jobs cleaning um wen numpties install um up to the ceiling!
the "magnabooster" does look better quality but is it as effective? also i like the easy dosing point ya get on the magnacleans

I've just bought my first Spirovent magnabooster and compared to the Magnaclean, for which I have a hospital kit in the van, it looks the dogs.

A proper brass plumbing fitting not some Far East manufactured piece of cheap plastic ready to fall apart at the drop of a hat. Incidently the price of both is about the same but I know which one will last the longest.

I've just bought my first Spirovent magnabooster and compared to the Magnaclean, for which I have a hospital kit in the van, it looks the dogs.

A proper brass plumbing fitting not some Far East manufactured piece of cheap plastic ready to fall apart at the drop of a hat. Incidently the price of both is about the same but I know which one will last the longest.

which do ya rekon would get the most ****e out?

Well it might tickle you to know that Spirotech have been making dirt separators for around 40 years and they have been working just fine without a magnet. I have had one on my own system for the last 5 years and it is very effective.

They have only brought out a 'magnet' product for the UK because UK DIYers and plumbers have been fixated by the advertising from ADEY. In fact, that is the only part of a Magnaclean that I can genuinely say I'm impressed with, the advertising and marketing.

which do ya rekon would get the most s***te out?

Well looking at both of them I'd have to say the Magnaclean cause it's obviously larger but I'll wait and see.

The Spirovent looks like a Honeywell MV whereas an ACL Drayton MV looks like a Magnaclean if you catch my drift :LOL:

Magnetic attraction of magnetic dirt is always a good idea.

However, only some of the dirt is magnetic!

Tony

We had the spirovemt rep come and see us on tuesday with a demo rig. The spirovent actually removes more muck than the magnaclean. The magnaclean holds 290grams of wet matter, the spirovent can hold upto 400grams of matter. And it removes both magnetic and non magnetic. I'm sold on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back