Fitting a mcalpine a10 basin trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After finishing sorting out a leak in some ~30 year old basin pipework (i.e. replacing it!) I replaced a newish bottle trap with an antivac mcalpine bottle trap to solve gurgling issues.

On fitting I noticed that the top of the trap didn't insert into the basin by about 2mm as the other trap had done. As far as I can tell there's no leaks - but wondered if this was standard with mcalpine traps?

The basin connection is metal, as in this picture - but obv. not with this pipework setup:
basin_connect_waste.jpg

thescruff said:
Could do with an actual pic.

Here's a pic of the traps side by side. McAlpine is on the left. It appears not to have a tapered lip...
19122010132.JPG

19122010131.JPG

Thanks,

James.

Sponsored Links
but wondered if this was standard with mcalpine traps?

mcalpine are about the best you'll get for quality etc.

as you say it should fit into the waste so the rubber seal is up against the bottom of the waste then tighten the nut.

Remove the rubber seal and taper the plastic with a file or glasspaper :idea:

Sponsored Links
It may be that the old waste fitting in your basin is an unusual size, unlikely but possible, you could just change that fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back