Fitting a new external PIR floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I’m after a little advice please.
I need to replace an existing external light with something with a bit more power. The existing light has a motion detector sensor but also has an internal light switch (IE within the house) that switches it between sensor only and on permanently.

I’ve brought a new 500W “Blake” floodlight with PIR sensor from Focus, but I’m not too sure about the wiring.

I’ve uploaded 2 diagrams, one of the existing wiring and one on how the instructions say the new floodlight should be wired.

As you’ll see on the existing wiring:

Incoming Earth (Green and Yellow) connects to nothing.

Incoming Neutral (Black) connects to 2 blue wires.
Incoming Live (Red) connects to 1 brown wire.

And Incoming * (which I presume is the switch, Red) connects to 2 red wires.

But on the new instructions:

Incoming Earth (Green and Yellow) connects to a green and yellow earth wire..... this bit I can understand :D

Incoming Neutral (Black) connects to a single blue wire.

Incoming Live (Red) connects to a single brown wire.

And there shouldn’t be an incoming red into the *, but there is a single red leading out and a white loop between the outgoing * and Neutral terminals.

The instructions not to put any incoming supply to the * terminal.

Can anybody help me with this puzzle please?

I would be most grateful for any advice.

Big thanks,
@

Sponsored Links
Hi you will need to disconnect the permanent live out of the light switch and out of the existing light this is the last one on your diagram. Make sure you put the power off first. Once you have done this you will be left with a live, Neutral & Earth these get wired as per the new light diagram. Your switch will still work your light the only difference will be if you want it on perm. you switch the light switch off & on quickly and the light will stay on for 12 hrs (see instructions with the light!) :D

I hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back