Fitting A New Fence Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a fence post that has been concreted-in.
I'm hoping that I can remove it, by digging around the concrete.
Assuming that I am able to do that, I'm wondering what would be the best way to fit a new one. Is it best to concrete-in directly, or to use one of those metal inserts ?
Also, when I concrete-in the new one, what is the best way to hold it in position, while the concrete sets ?
:cry: :?:

Sponsored Links
if it need to go back in exactly the same position then don't dig it out, if you do then when you set the new one in concrete the earth will be the fill you've put back in and therefore very soft and giving poor support for your post.

Try cutting the post with about 1 foot left above the surface then hit the concrete with a sledge hammer and try and break it up.

If it doesn't work on the first 5 hits then you'll have to dig it out but try to disturb as little earth around it as possible.

as already said, dont dig it out. use a breaker to break the concrete out and re-use the existing hole, it will be a lot more stable

You can buy a post support which has a spike below it,it is designed to be hammered into existing post.it has a 90 degree spike and you line it up with the corner of the existing post and hammer it in

Sponsored Links
and they are a waste of money. lost count of how many we have removed

I find many-a-post can be removed by levering it vertically out of the ground - this is usually where the hole it is in narrows at the bottom (DIYer's mistake). To achieve this I use a pick axe - embed the sharp tip into the wood (is it a wood post?) and lever the post out, like popping out a rotten tooth, if you will.

Maybe worth a try.

Somoeone ought to make a sticky about how not to use Metposts, ever!

Thanks for all your advice.
It's impossible for me to 'lever-out, the post, as it is pretty well rotten at the bottom.
I decided (on ytour advice) to stick with the same hole, and managed to borrow a pickaxe, which seems like it will do the job.
Now, just one more question.....
My new post is treated. Someone said that I should soak the base in creosote before I cement it in. Is this advisable, or would it be better to use one of those metal inserts, so the post is mounted slightly above floor level ?
:?: :( :?:

fire it straight in don't bother soaking it in anything but throw a handful or gravel or a shovel of your concrete in first and set the post base on that rather than staright into the earth. Forget all kinds of post insert devices. Oh and you'll probably need a sledge hammer as well as or instead of a pick. wabbit's method is worth a try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back