Fitting a new radiator, valve tails sealed? Am I going mad?

D C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I'm prepared to get laughed at here but I feel like I'm going nuts.

I bought a new stelrad radiator to replace an ancient single panel one in a room that's being redecorated and got the old one off the wall without too much trouble (we were replacing that carpet anyway...), but I'm staring at the new one and feel like I'm missing something obvious because of the 4 1/2" connectors, two are sealed up with bloody great welded on (it looks like anyway) cross head plugs so I can't fit the valve tails.

The other two ports are threaded as expected but what am I missing here? Am I going insane? Did I buy some sort of weird model? Do I have no idea what I'm doing and shouldn't have done this myself (probably)?

Edit: I've found loads of handy advice on this forum over the years, nothing like this though which is why I'm currently thinking that I've messed up or am missing something obvious (e.g. these are just blanks on the valve threads that have been sealed with paint and I just need to use a large screwdriver and some elbow grease)

Model is a Stelrad Elite P+ if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Large flat bladed screwdriver or similar to remove plugs.

I was hoping someone would say that :) Now I just need to dig up a driver big enough to get a proper grip.

Honestly I thought I was going crazy looking at the damn thing and didn't want to force it and end up stripping a thread or damaging the connectors.

Sponsored Links
I have an old wood chisel especially for this purpose. It's the exact width of the slots and works a dream.

Jon

Done now, did exactly as suggested and whacked a screwdriver through the plugs and twisted them out. Cheers for the tips!

Now to hang the damn thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back