fitting a replacement double pole pull light switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hopefully someone can help me.

In my bathroom (which is seperate to my toilet) in my flat I had a pull light switch, this used to turn the bathroom light and the fanon at the same time when pulled. The toilet room next door to it has a flick switch which turns the light on in the toilet and the fan (fan duct runs from bathroom fan to toilet) at the same time.

The pull switch in the bathroom stopped pulling so a friend removed it and discovered that one of the contact plates inside the block had snapped.

So off I went to shops and brought exactly the same pull switch (double pole).

Now because my friend removed the old pull switch i cant remember which wires go where on the block!

Images attached of wiring and block.

Am unsure of where to place the two reds and 2 blacks, the green earth is fine as is already in situ.

Moogie

View media item 24652 View media item 24653 View media item 24654

Sponsored Links
There should be two cables coming out of the ceiling

Just put one cable (red to L, black to N) on the top two connections and the other red and black on the bottom.

in this instance it doesn't really matter if you get supply and load swopped over.

PS, most people make a note before removing wires..

Thanks

Yeh well I thought that he would remember where the wires went, but he didnt. Should have just done it myself! ha

Anyhoo so the block when wired should then be:

top L red, top N black from one wire and bottom red L and black N from other wire.

Moogie

so I wired it up as suggested and nothing, wired fan live and neutral to end that says load, wired light live and neutral to supply, nothing, tried putting fan cables into supply and light cables into load, nothing. I have tried 2 switches now from local electrical wholesaler. Am I doing this wrong or are the switches not working to begin with?

Its bizarre. I dont get it, yet when I connect the light cables together and the fan cables together they work. So definitely not a problem with my cables.

I didnt screw the rose into the base but surely that wouldnt make a difference as the earth is connected anyhoo to the base and untouched.

please tell me if I am A being a numpty or B I have duff switches.

Sponsored Links
I think rather than this being a case of a permanent live on one cable and switched L/N out on the other, you actually have a pair of switch drops, one controlling the light and the other the fan.

If this is indeed the case, one red/black pair will need to go in supply/load N terminals, and the other pair in supply/load L terminals.

if they are indeed switch drops, then you should have the two reds on the top two terminals and the black on the bottom two. with note to the same pair on one side.

If you are saying that when you join red & black from the fan cable & red & black from the light cable, the fan & light run when you restore power, then your last diagram is correct.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back