fitting cast iron fire insert and wooden surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm fitting a fireplace and I can't find good instructions anywhere so I hope someone might help out.

I have an existing open fireplace that works fine but the surround was really ugly so I have removed it. There is a ceramic fireback that is in good condition so I plan to leave it in place.
I will be fitting a cast iron insert - see the photo below (this isn't a photo of my actual one but its exactly the same):

I will then fit a wooden surround over that.

I have a couple of questions about fitting the cast iron insert:

1) What is the best way to secure the cast iron insert. It has some lugs on the back and I have read about people running thick wire through these and then securing some eyes to the wall to hold the wire in place. To me this doesn't seem like a great way of doing it. It would be easy enough to drill some holes at the corners of the cast iron and then screw it to the wall (the screw heads would then be concealed when the wooden surround is fitted. Is there any reason I shouldn't screw the insert to the wall

2) Once the insert is secured to the all, I presume it needs to sealed air tight against the wall? I know that you can get fire cement at screwfix, B&Q etc - so should I seal it with that or would that crack when the fire is in use and the iron gets hot and expands?

3) Once the wooden surround has been fitted, should I seal where the surround meets the cast iron insert with heat proof silicon or is that not necessary?

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you have the matching firebox and other components?

Don't drill the part you have shown - it's cast iron and may crack when drilled - it may also crack when you tighten the screws into the brickwork.

If all the other parts are available then once they are in place the front section should be mortared into the brickwork using the lugs and any space around the edge filled with fire cement.

The mantle/surround can then be fixed to the wall.

Not necessary (or desirable) to seal the mantle to the cast iron.

You do need to ensure that all the functional sections of the fireplace match and are fitted together correctly - hot gases can do a lot of damage (to you and the fabric of the house) if the components are mis-matched

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back