Fitting Duraboard/Laminated Board to uneven surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Halfway through a new conservatory and I'm going to install laminated window board when finished.

I've removed the old sill which which used tiles and I'm left with a fairly uneven surface on top of the brickwork.

I know that most people use gripfill, etc, to bond the board to the brickwork and in addition to this, I was thinking of using some right angled brackets screwed to the underside of the board and then into the face of the brickwork (which will be boarded over) for extra fixing strength.

My question is whether I need to clean up the top of the brickwork (either by chiseling off the previous adhesive of laying a clean row of bricks) before the adhesive.

I've attached a picture which shows the current situation.

Any view appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Put a rows of screws with about 10mm/15mm sticking out of the underneath of dura board. Then use bonding plaster to stick down on to dwarf wall. Then board as normal. This is how all my window boards are put down, no problem in conservatory with heat etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - out of interest, what is your reasoning for this approach. Do the screws take the weight and the adhesive the grip? How come you don't use "sticks like", etc?

Many thanks,

Damian

The bonding sticks to the brick and the screws cannot come out the bonding when gone off. Plus you can level the window boards with a little tap. The window boards are 4m in my conservatory and are wood grain affect. There was no set pattern to the screws, I marked where the brickwork was, then i put screws every where and loads of them. just hope that makes sense. So far no window boards have moved, 1 being in 12 years.

Sponsored Links
you could buy a sheet of ply/ osb and cut 8" strips screw these to brickwork with spax levelling as you go then stick duraboards down to these

Hi,

I'm guessing by using ply you get a firm and clean surface across the cavity, rather than just bonding to the brick.

What thickness ply - 6mm?

Thanks,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back