fitting gate hinge, dowel in way of bolt..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I have (unfortunately) bought a pair of 3ft gates made with stub tenoned joints and dowels.
my problem is that when I come to fit the band and gudgeon hinges, the BOLT hole sits over the dowel. I can move the hinge down a few mill and back a few mill (which will look a bit) to avoid the dowel, but then ill be drilling a hole and putting pressure right next to the dowel.

im not sure wether to:
-drill right through the dowel, thus making the bolt do the job of the dowel, but risk getting more moisture in to the joint.

-or to rerill the hinge to place the bolt on the horizontal bar near the screw holes, rather then were it sits now on the vertical bar, but would this put the weight on the wrong part of the gate, ie all on the horizontal bars.

-or fit without a bolt at all?

any ideas whats best please, (other than buying new gates lol)

thanks
sam

Sponsored Links
t would just fit the hinge on the gate through the dowel making sure theres no load on the join whilst you drill and tighten the bolt just make sure the hole is a snug fit as a 1mm bigger hole than neceserry can turn into 2mm gap

Thanks big all. I think that's what I'll do, and ensure its a tight fit as you say. :)
I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back