Fitting Hive to Flexicom (GlowWorm) 24cx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had an electrician out earlier to fit a Hive thermostat to a flexicom 24cx.

He was waiting to speak to a Glow worm technician for over half an how so has now had to go to another job. I am still waiting to speak to them for him.

He has asked me to ask:
If you are able to ring the boiler company(gloworm) technical department and ask what connections need to be made for a hive thermostat. Tell them you have a 230volt switched live connection on terminal R. And that there is a link between 24volt & 0volt.

Is anyone on here able to help?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
From what I can see you need to power the Hive receiver with 240 live and Neutral then remove the 24v link and wire those terminals across terminals 1 and 3 of the hive receiver. Terminal R won't be used and would likely be for an external pump or something

I believe R is the 230v switched live which would usually be connected to 230v system controls. You could likely use this with Hive (terminal 3) along with a permanent live to terminal 1 and L (plus neutral to N and earth).

Alternatively, you can just take a permanent live and neutral some somewhere else and connect the 24v across 1 and 3 as Jadele suggests.

Your electrician probably should have been able to figure this out by looking at the installation manual for the boiler.

Electrician shouldnt have the front off the boiler anyway. I'd get a gas engineer to wire it up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Take the link out of the 24v connections.
Take L+N from the boiler supply to the hive L-N then link hive L to hive C then Hive 3 to boiler R.

Do not take a L+N from another source.
Dont get a sparky to wire up heating controls.

greenstar-to-hive-jpg.111972

Hi there I found this really helpful and just wanted to add the bits I was worried about when wiring mine up.
So basically you need to wire up the hive receiver to the same fused spur as the boiler as to not provide two 230v feeds to the boiler
Then use a small piece of wire from the permant live (hive end) to the 1:common (hive)
Leave the 2:heating off (hive) unwired
Then take 3: heating on (hive) aka switched live to R (boiler)
4: is unused
And provide mains 230v live and neutral to the boiler
There should be no link in the 24v side of the boiler
And your all done

greenstar-to-hive-jpg.111972

Hi there I found this really helpful and just wanted to add the bits I was worried about when wiring mine up.
So basically you need to wire up the hive receiver to the same fused spur as the boiler as to not provide two 230v feeds to the boiler
Then use a small piece of wire from the permant live (hive end) to the 1:common (hive)
Leave the 2:heating off (hive) unwired
Then take 3: heating on (hive) aka switched live to R (boiler)
4: is unused
And provide mains 230v live and neutral to the boiler
There should be no link in the 24v side of the boiler
And your all done
Don't get it wrong, but this back plate is Hive single channel one.

Edited: sorry but thought OP referred to Nest, lol.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back