Fitting Indesit VIA640C Induction Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm just in the process of fitting a VIA640C Induction hob into my new kitchen. The hob has 4 spring clips around the side which push against the cutout in the worktop. It also has 4 plates which screw onto the bottom of the hob, and then more screws which push up against the underneath of the worktop to pull the hob down.

However, around the edges of the hob is thin strip of foam. Currently with everything tightened up the foam is around 4mm thick, with the hob itself 4mm thick. So the top of the hob is sitting around 8-9mm proud of the worktop surface.

I was expecting that when I fitted the bolts to pull the hob down it would compress this foam much more than it has. I've attached a couple of pics below (click on them to enlarge).

Can anyone tell me if this looks to be fitted ok? The Missus thinks the foam needs to come off, but I don't think it does.

I don't want to tighten the bolts much more as when I do it just starts to bend the underside of the hob rather than pulling it down any further.

Many Thanks... James

Sponsored Links
Does it go down flush with the worktop without the seal & how thick was the seal when you started?

I've not tried to remove the seal at all. I would say with the seal removed it would sit flush with the worktop.

The seal hasn't compressed much at all since tightening up.

I was just trying to establish if there was any sort of protrusion on the under side that was stopping it going down further, if you run your finger around the under side can you feel any type of feet or spacers that the hob might bottom out on?

Sponsored Links
I'm also about to fit a Indesit VIA640C Induction hob.
It comes with a length of sticky backed foam and a bag with two types of metal fittings.

Unfortunately the fitting instructions are completely useless.
I think the problem's a combination of the parts being intended for various types of hob plus poor translation.

Has anyone fitted this hob successfully and if so, how?
As noted above, I think the foam will be too thick, but also, it's not clear where exactly the clamp type fittings are meant to screw on.

I'm thinking about ditching the foam and fittings and just using a thin bead of silicone around the edge of the ceramic to seal it to the worktop.
Will that be good enough?

The seal goes round the edge of the glass . The plates are screwed on the underneath of the hob. To clamp it to the work top as the clamps tighten it seals the hob to the work top. The seal only stops crumbs and spills going under the hob. It also acts as a shock muffle to stop it breaking cos you got glass and foam then wood. Otherwise you only got glass and wood.

Having tried the provided foam seal I decided it just didn't look good.
With clear silicone instead I'm very happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back