Fitting INSUduct - cut through footings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing the lead water main coming into my house (built in 1900) with a 25mm MDPE pipe. The trench is dug to the required depth and just need to bring the new pipe into the house.

As I didn't want to dig up the original tiled floor inside, I decided to bring the pipe in above ground level using an INSUduct - basically a proprietary insulated duct that meets waste regs for protecting a water pipe from freezing above ground.

The problem I have is that the INSUduct is designed to fit flush against the wall below ground level, which is fine for newer homes where the brick work is vertical all the wall down to the concrete footings. The brick work on my house gradually steps out immediately below ground level - a bit difficult to see in this photo (doesn't help that the photo is sideways):

So I have a few options: install the duct at an angle like this (again sideways photo), which will still need a bit of cement put behind to plug the gap. Main concern is that any rain falling will drain towards the house.

Or install it vertical but will need to build out about 120mm depth of concrete backing to provide a solid mounting between the duct and house:

Or final option would be to use an angle grinder and cut down the face of the footings for the width of the duct, to provide a flush vertical surface. This would be the best option in terms of getting a flush finish against the house. But not entirely keen cutting through the stepped out footings, even though it would only be a 30cm width.

Any opinions on the best option?

Sponsored Links
Another less than useless reply from noseall...

Anyone with useful opinions on the options in my post (digging up the floor not being one of them) would be much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Don't think cutting it would really be feasible - as the duct as a whole meets the water regs for preventing freezing, I would have thought any modification to the duct could invalidate it.

Went ahead with a combination of the first two options - built it out with some cement to give a flat finish, and also installed it slightly on a slant. It's all been inspected and passed now, so the water board didn't have a problem with it. Just have to wait now to get the new pipe connected to the mains - which could take a while as they want to close the road off to dig it up and replace the lead all the way back to the main pipe.

In case anyone else ever has a similar problem and is looking for a solution, some pics below of what I did.

Cement backing, used a bit of DPM to try and avoid damp bridging the original DPM in the stonework.

Duct backplate fitted to the wall - used extra long self tapping masonry screws instead of the supplied small screws, to ensure the fixings went all the way through to the wall.

Insulation and 'hockey stick' pipe inserted through the duct and wall.

Cover on, view from the side - not ideal but shouldn't cause any issues.

Backfilled with sand to cover the pipe, ready to be filled in

less than useless -----> useless -----> useful -----> more than useful

So no, less than useless doesn't mean useful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back