Fitting joists for garage flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing a new roof on my garage workshop. Its currently got a very old asbestos roof and the timber joists holding it up are mostly rotted, wood wormed, broken ,etc !

The garage is about 10m x 5m with a partion wall across 1/3 of it. All walls are made from single breezeblock and look to be in good condition. There is also a large steel I beam stretching across the main garage also in good condtion.

Once the current materials are removed, I plan to renew the main timber joists which rest on holes on top of the breeze block and then also attach them to the I beam with wood and joist hangers.

My problem is how to connect the smaller joists to the outer walls. The current rotten joists are way undersized and there should be about twice as many. They seem to be resting in holes in top of the breeze block wall.

Whats my best option to connect my new smaller rafters to the outer walls? I`ve not done roof work before, so i`m a little unsure. I undertand joist hangers can`t be connected to the masonry walls as this isn`t strong enough - could i somehow wrap them over the top of the walls or is it a case of making new larger holes in the wall for the new joists to rest in using an SDS drill or something similiar?

Here`s a rough (not to scale!) drawing so you get an idea of what i have.

Cheers, MIke

garage%20schem.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back