Fitting metal spikes to top of wooden gate!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a search but couldn't find a post on what I want to do!

I want to fit some metal spikes to the top of the wooden gate to add security!

I want to increase security to my side gate which is wood.
It has a brace going across the top and the gate is slightly rounded at the top.
The brace is probably too far down to use as a fixing point!

Think I can figure out a way to do this but I would appreciate some advice on best method for strength and best fitting.

Do I keep spikes straight or splay them out to match the slight curve?
Do less spikes work better, what's the best gap to catch a crook? :eek:)
Thinking of cutting section of wood to match curve of gate and drill holes and somehow fix spikes in place, (not sure how)?
Should I fix spikes 1 by 1 or pre-welded to section of steel?

Gate below very close to what I have but the brace at the top on mine is not as close to the top as one in photo!

Thanx for any advice.

iu

Spikes for the top.
I think something that is likely to catch on clothing would be better!
iu

Sponsored Links
Totally pointless as they could climb over your neighbour's gate anyway and then hop over that low fence. Pop a 'beware of the dog' sign on it instead.

Totally pointless as they could climb over your neighbour's gate anyway and then hop over that low fence. Pop a 'beware of the dog' sign on it instead.
You didn't read my post all the way to the end.
Gate below very close to what I have
So using your interesting logic then you must think having gates are a waste of timer also!
My neighbours actual gate is a lot higher than mine, so anyone thinking of jumping over will most likely take the easy route hence the idea of making it that bit harder with spikes that will catch or cut anyone stupid enough to try climbing it.

I don't expect to stop someone trying if they really want to get in, but I don't agree it's pointless to try and make it harder.
Of course fence hopping will be possible but there will be pain involved once I finish that job.

......and put a PIR lamp up if you can.
John :)
Thanx, yeah I am going to add one or two and that should make sure they set alarm off on cctv long before anyone gets close to gate.

Sponsored Links
Do not forget that anything intended to cause harm to an intruder has to be clearly identified as such. Otherwise you will be liable for prosecution and/or civil action if the intruder is harmed while trespassing on your property. Detering by clearly visible methods is acceptable in law, cause ing harm to a trespasser is not legally acceptable.

I put prikka strips on my mums gate, total waste of time as someone has been over for a nosey.
Try anti theft paint on the top, greasy mucky stuff (with appropriate warning sign).

Do not forget that anything intended to cause harm to an intruder has to be clearly identified as such. Otherwise you will be liable for prosecution and/or civil action if the intruder is harmed while trespassing on your property. Detering by clearly visible methods is acceptable in law, cause ing harm to a trespasser is not legally acceptable.
Well I don't intend to leave a bear trap at other side of my gate, but I hope you're not suggesting I need to put signs up to add spikes to the top of a gate lol
I'll be adding large spikes which will be "clearly visible" that will not stop my neighbours cat from coming into my garden, but at the same time if a crook decides to ignore 6 inch spikes and he falls and spills his guts that's his choice, I'm not forcing anyone to risk climbing over a 7ft gate with spikes and I wont lose a minutes sleep if that happens.
While he's bleeding out I might tell him to read this which I can quote in court of that's the way it goes.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ades-your-home-they-give-up-their-rights.html
But of course I'm aware governments like to make false promises and backtrack and someone will want to make the case the garden isn't the home.
I don't except that, I don't see the difference. E.g. Mother home alone with children and patio doors open etc etc...
Stop press, all home owners will have to have rubber mats at bottom of garden gates in case burglars fall when climbing over!
All said and done, I do take your point, but at the same time thief are laughing all the way to the bank, it's a win win situation for them. If they get away with your jewellery and anything else of value they win, if they knocked out cold they win!

I put prikka strips on my mums gate, total waste of time as someone has been over for a nosey.
Try anti theft paint on the top, greasy mucky stuff (with appropriate warning sign).
Yeah I guess a thick jacket over the top of them renders them useless!
I want to leave enough space between spikes for next doors cat and the local foxes perhaps, but adding anti theft paint will probably make a mess of the cat!
Will be a trade off and not totally impossible to get over but flood light and cctv for a nice clear mug-shot for any idiot who tries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back