Fitting new light to old lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new light which has 3 wires to be connected - live, neutral and earth. However, when I removed the old ceiling rose there were 5 cables sticking out each of which contained two wires (one red and one black). The 5 red wires were not actually connected to anything (just taped together in a bunch) and unfortunately I didn't note which terminals any of the black wires were connected to. I don't have a clue what each wire is or how I am supposed to wire in the new light. Please help!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your old lighting circuit doesn't have an earth and your new light requires one, so you can't fit that light I'm afraid.

If you search in the Wiki bit there is info on what you are looking for.

You need to fit a plastic light to be safe

SB

sg: Firstly, check those 'twin' cables there's a chance that they might be twin and earth with the earth wires (cpc's) snipped off - but capable of being trimmed back for reuse. If it seems that they are indeed only twin cables, it might be possible to connect a single cpc from an adjacent, reliable circuit.

It's quite unusual for a lighting point to have five twin cables to it (but not unheard of). It's not that difficult to find which of those five black cores is the switched live return from the switch, even using the most rudimentary of DIY tools.

If you're still keen to go ahead with this, then I'd be pleased to advise further - but you need to establish a reliable earth connection first.

Lucia.

Are you certain all five reds are connected together in a block?

If so, then I assume that no other lights come on with the light in question.
IF that is the case, then you need to find which black goes to the switch.
This black will go to the L of the fitting.
The remaining blacks go to the N of the fitting.

Do you have earth wires at the ceiling wiring, or did you just not mention them?
Possibly, they have been twisted together and shoved into the ceiling void.

If your new light requires earth, then you MUST ensure you have an earth connection at the ceiling wiring. If you do not have an earth here you will have to fit a ceiling rose or a plastic fitting that do not require earth.

Sponsored Links
If the cpc`s are indeed just snipped off in the ceiling rose, don`t just trim them back, use them and assume you have a reliable earth as they may be snipped off in all the light fitting in the circuit you will end up with a class 1 fitting which is not eatrhed . :cry:

Thanks for all your help. I'm taking the safe route and fitting a light that doesn't require an earth...!

Thanks for all your help. I'm taking the safe route and fitting a light that doesn't require an earth...!

That's a good idea - you might want to check your other light fittings because it is possible that none of your lighting circuits have a cpc it was common in houses built and wired up to 1969.

I would always advise customers to have their lighting circuit upgraded to include a CPC or alternatively ensure than none of their light fittings (lamps or switches) are metal - they must all be plastic.

Might be worth noting for people in this boat that many small local lighting shops that do repairs can convert a brass earthed fitting say to double insulated therefore negating the earth, generally such places are members of the Lighting Association and will have some pretty beefy test equipment in order to test the double insulated conversion.

Broadly such a conversion involves replacing metal lampholders with DI plastic ones, replacing internal wire with DI wire and fitting a double insulated termination enclosure in the ceiling mount. costly but suitable for antique fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back