Fitting new old parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have somehow agreed to get my Halifax (AXA) freebie home emergency cover to sort out my non-emergency dripping boiler; Sime Super Delux 102, installed in 1865, still going strong. New heat exchange unit plus diverter valve which I have managed to source at a third of the price the allocated firm can supply for. Policy covers me to £250, firm want an excess of £370 on top. I have bought both parts new, certified genuine, for £180 inc vat and p&p. As the parts, although genuine Sime, are not provided by the firm they will fit, but will not guarantee. Fine, I can take that. The heat exchanger arrived today, so I take it out the box and notice the brassware inlet/outlet pipe things are rusty, not rusted, but rusty, with a manufacturers sticker of 2012. Worried the fitter will think its recon, and refuse to fit, I call the supplier and ask for clarity but am assured its genuine new old stock, just been on a shelf for years and that no, a fitter will realise this bit of rusting is a sign of age, not pre-use. I is no expert, but could do without a wasted call out. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I think you have just discovered how the Halifux can offer you 'free' breakdown cover that would cost you circa £300 a year from Wilbur the Penguin at British Gas.
Brass doesn't rust. A picture would help, please.

Hi

I have somehow agreed to get my Halifax (AXA) freebie home emergency cover to sort out my non-emergency dripping boiler; Sime Super Delux 102, installed in 1865, still going strong.

That must be the oldest boiler that I have hear of lately. Still going strong too.

Sponsored Links
WP_20170116_21_13_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20170116_21_13_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20170116_21_13_14_Pro.jpg

That heat exchanger is only 2012.

Hardly five years old!

No reason why the fitter should refuse to fit that. Looks fine to me.

Looks new, there's no marks on the nuts to suggest its ever been used. However where was it kept, looks like its been somewhere damp for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back