Fitting new oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted new kitchen and looking to fit new oven and hob the oven comes with plug fitted and hob needs wired in, the wires was connected to 45a cooker control unit and a double socket coming off that it was a gas hob fitted aswell what's the best way to get connected up again the wires are under the house at the moment

Sponsored Links
I'm not really sure what you have, what is there already, or the specs of your new hob.

It sounds like you might already have what you need, but your post is not clear

Just now I have 45a cooker control unit with socket and a double socket coming off that

so this cooker switch just feeds a double socket? nothing else? what size cable is there? What size breaker is it fed from? Anything else on the breaker? What size is your new hob? in kW

Sponsored Links
Yes I have cooker switch with double socket coming off that,10mm,32mcb and hob says max 6kw

I very much doubt you have 10mm into a twin socket. It would also be unlikely to have 10mm on a 32A breaker (although not unheard of).

You need to check the size of the cable feeding the twin socket, is it a surface socket or flush to the wall?

You will have to fit a dual outlet cooker connector and connect both, or

a single cooker outlet and single socket.

Either way, a new back box will need to be fitted - a single or a dual (not a double that is there now).

image.jpg
This is what I had

Was that all underneath the hob? if so, put it back, change that twin socket for a single box and cooker connection unit, put the hob in that and job done.

And that's not 10mm, maybe 6mm, hard to tell

Ok so I don't need the cooker socket and the double socket in picture and I need to replace with single cooker outlet and a single socket

ok heres how i would do it

the cooker switch with socket up where the tiling is from that 6mm cable to cooker outlet (to connect hob)

then a single socket if oven has plug, if not fit a flex outlet just incase your hob doesnt fit in because of surface box etc

if you had a gas hob there should already have been something to connect the ignition generator(spark)

mick

So I will have 3 boxes so I take the wires from fuse box to cooker switch and socket then feed from there to cooker outlet then feed from there to single socket using 6mm

board to cooker switch 6mm
cooker switch to cooker outlet 6mm
cooker outlet to unswiched socket or flex outlet can be done in 1.5mm as that is probably what is on your oven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back