Fitting new sink waste to old pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hello, I want to fit a chrome bottle trap to the grey pipe shown above. How do I go about this? The grey pipe doesn't come off, and I'm worried about the different sizes of pipe and how I can fit them together. If a chrome trap doesn't fit, I could use a white plastic one instead - am I right in thinking that white and grey pipes are different sizes, and if so how can I connect them together? Thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Your trap will fit the grey waste pipe you have there, which looks like 32mm from the picture (the packet may refer to 1 1/4 inch which is basically the same thing)

Your trap will fit the grey waste pipe you have there, which looks like 32mm from the picture (the packet may refer to 1 1/4 inch which is basically the same thing)

No it won't Dextrous.

The chrome will be 32mm the plastic is 35mm ;)

You can buy 35mm chrome traps but not easily, or you can buy a converter bend or straight connector.

Sponsored Links
I can only assume that the OP is fitting some kind of wall hung Basin whereby the chrome trap will be on display?

I would try top lose the whole waste pipe in the wall, and hide the McApline elbow in there too,. just have the chrome pipe coming out of the wall and straight into the trap. Much neater but not as easy

How would i go about that bathstyle, should i just hack off the grey pipes as close to the wall as i can get. It's not a wall hung basin but the pedestel is set quite far from the wall so you can see all the pipe work easily and i'd like it too look nice. I'm not sure i can cut to a pipe part as the thicker elbow bend goes a bit into the wall would this matter?
Thanks for all your replies.

Basically- yes

Although it may cause slight damage to the wall behind, it is always a risk, in particular internal walls, is this the case? or is it external which gives you a bit more to play with

I would cut the pipe back, fit a solvent weld elbow, then the Mcalpine elbow then the chrome pipe.

These chrome bottle traps often come with shrouds so that the nut of the McAlpine fitting will be allowed to poke into the room slightly, plus tiling the wall helps to keep the depth of the chase down slightly

I'm confused :confused:

The chrome bottle trap I fitted in my last house went onto the 32mm solvent weld pipe via it's compression ring outlet without a problem.

I can't help you out here Dex, I don't think I have ever fitted a plastic waste pipe to a chrome trap.

You don't mean those awful mMcAlpine plastic traps that look chrome? a plastic waste will fit in those no problem

You don't mean those awful mMcAlpine plastic traps that look chrome? a plastic waste will fit in those no problem

Nope - it was an adjustable bottle trap in chrome plated metal.

The outlet from this was straight out through the wall and only a couple of inches of plastic was thus visible, and being tight fisted, I didn't invest in any chrome waste pipe ;)

It is an external wall so wasn't sure if i could try and knock the pipe from outside further in, as if i cut it close to the wall it would go through an elbow and i wasn't sure if that would make it too thick to fit an elbow too. I'm confused to what this mcalpine elbow does, (i don't know much about plumbing) i did check the website out but am not sure what i'm looking out for.

If you're anywhere near NN10, give me a PM, i'll give you the address of my local friendly plumbing shop. Drop by there and they'll soon advise you on what you require.

This is what you require:-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/90571...aste/Universal-Compression-Waste-90-Bend-32mm

I would go for a McAlpine version though.

Pop into a merchants and they can advise (bring the chrome pipe)

I personally would cut the pipe outside, drill a hole for the new waste (higher up) then take the chrome waste right through the wall into the McAlpine elbow and then continued to existing waste.

If the chrome waste pipe isn't long enough to go right through the wall then a coupling (straight connector) should be used to join from the chrome to plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back