Fitting stable doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm trying to replace an external back door with a stable door. Has anyone had any experience of fitting these - anything I should be aware of. Also can stable doors be fitted to open outwards or inwards?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo aleriza
made and fitted several of these although all internal which allows you to fit a ledge on top to lean on as being water tight is not a problem

now youll have a half lap between the bottom of the top and the top of the bottom
the setup of the half lap tells which door half will open first and wether its inward opening or outward opening
the plain side of the door should be on the outside

the setup of the hinges is so so important if your hinges are not exactly in line you two halves of the doors will either bind against eachother or a gap will appear

i would ask your insurance company how this may affect your policy and exactly what bolts locks ect they require for security

hope this helps :D ;)

Easiest way ive found of hanging these is to temporarily make it into one door, ie brace it together. Removes a lot of the problems in lining it up.

correction to my point the top door should always overlap the the bottom half on the outside edge to stop the rain running down the door getting blown under the top halve

i also like thermos idea ;)

Sponsored Links
Big all, its always worked fine for me as long as you are not working on an expensive door with a natural finish, otherwise it tends to upset the client!

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back