Fitting wooden floor with underfloor heating on chip board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm after some advise.
I've got chipboard floor boards in our kitchen/sitting room (upside down house). And am keen to fit a solid wood flooring.
Am I best to take up the chipboard first. A friend advised me that it is not a good enough surface to fix to.
Ideally I would have underfloor (elec) heating too. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so it is advised to fit insulation boards on the chip board first?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is very advisable to fit insulation under electric heating coils but in my opinion the usual 5 or 10 mm offered is very ineffective, expensive rubbish with still a lot of heat wasted. Exactly what the recommended build-up with your chip-board etc would be, I'm sorry but I don't know, as I have water UFH with 75 mm of insulation.

Have you considered the new floor-height with insulation plus element plus wooden-floor and what that means for your doors and floor-heights relative to what you have elsewhere in the house ?

Can I ask why you want to fit a solid wood floor? An engineered floor would be far more stable and less troublesome, especially over underfloor heating if you pursue that option.

Ideally, you need to match the flooring above the UFH to the UFH system itself, in that you don't want to be exceeding the output of the UFH system by putting too thick a floor layer on top, at best the floor won't heat efficiently, at worst the whole system may be totally inaffective/fail.

The underfloor heating system should have specs suggesting max thermal resistance above it, the flooring you buy will have the same re: wha is beneath it and by matching the spec you will ensure that it will all work effectively.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back