Fix / repair broken earring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Wondering if anybody could give any advice

Missus earrings broke and I asked local jewellery shops of they could solder earring pins for me on the two broken ones and they said no we only deal with gold this is cheap stuff lol

Now wondering what alternative there is as I wrongly assumed this would be easy to fix

Any advice much appreciated as it's a sentimental gift

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
Awkward as hell, but not to a silversmith that could be bothered.....
For pins, consider PCB pins suitable for an electronic breadboard called Veroboard.....about the same diameter and ready tinned for soldering. The trouble is, they come in boxes of 100 or so, but they are cheap enough.
Where the pin goes, is there a hole right through?
John :)

Sponsored Links
No hole through
Very tiny hole very!

Is there a type of shop / workman I can approach as I'm not comfortable doing myself....

Are there any other jewellers that you can try, and maybe ask them if they know someone who can do the job for you instead. Otherwise you need to keep a look out for a local jewellery maker at a craft fair; they should have the skills and the tools necessary for the job

See if there is a local college or uni offering goldsmithing or jewellerymaking.

The beginners might work with silver because the material is so cheap. But the amount of gold, and its value, in earrings is very small.

Are there any other jewellers that you can try, and maybe ask them if they know someone who can do the job for you instead. Otherwise you need to keep a look out for a local jewellery maker at a craft fair; they should have the skills and the tools necessary for the job

What exactly are the skills may I ask? Is it soldering basically?

I asked local jewellery shops of they could solder earring pins for me on the two broken ones and they said no we only deal with gold this is cheap stuff lol
I'd say that what you were dealing with was a jewellery shop staffed by arrogant, ignorant, snobby sales people who just don't have a clue. There are plenty of real working silversmiths around in this country making and repairing silverware, it's just that you won't find them working in or for jewellers shops! (although, BTW, really good jewellers such as Mappin and Webb can and do repair silverware and silver jewellery). Instead have a look at local craft centres, craft workshops, artists collectives, etc. In those places you'll find either what you are looking for or you'll find someone who knows of somone who can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly are the skills may I ask? Is it soldering basically

Yes, but if I remember my old soldering skills, you'd use silver solder rather than the ordinary stuff, but JJs suggestions a good one.

You tight fisted git, buy her a new set! :LOL: is it incrusted with tiny diamonds

Naughty Mike, it's not our place to make judgements; they might have great sentimental value.

When repairing jewellery and other soldered items, you ought to use a solder with a lower melting temperature than was used for the parts you are repairing, or they may dismantle themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back