Fixing a Joist bearer to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Esteemed experts,

I am lowering the ceiling which will be used for future loft conversion. I am planing to use the 200 x 50mm joist and planning to user a joist bearer to hang them from the front and back walls.

I am planning to use similar size joist as a bearer ( bolted to the wall horizontally) for other perpendicular joist to hang onto.

What sort of fixing/bolt can I use to fix the joist on the 1920 brick wall thats strong enough to hold it tightly for years to come. and is the 200 x 50mm joist ok to be used as a bearer joist?

Thanks for your help and comments in advance.

attached a picture for illustration of what I want to do..

View media item 77600

Sponsored Links
How can we comment on the correct section for the proposed joists without knowing the span(s) involved?

Expansion anchors and various bolts have been discussed on here - perhaps use Search to see them.

When you drop your ceiling you must still provide a min. ceiling height - see your local Regs.

One 12mm resin-fixed bolt per space would be fine.
(into full bricks, of course, not mortar).

Sponsored Links
When you drop your ceiling you must still provide a min. ceiling height - see your local Regs.

Strange as it may seem, for a few years there has been no minimum domestic ceiling height in UK, except over stairways (2m).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back