Fixing a Joist bearer to a sandstone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been asked by my nephew to help fit 8x2 joist bearers in his new (very old) House.
By joist bearer what I mean is an 8x2 fixed horizontally to the wall on which joist hangers will be placed. The joists will probably be engineered wood I beams. The span is 5.4 meters.

The walls are made of sandstone which we in Norfolk call Carstone.
I don't have any experience with this material.
I would like some advice on fixing methods and spacing of fixings please.

I am thinking of using rawlbolts or resin studs but not sure of depth or diameter to use. or how many.

or even would it be better to fix the hangers straight into the wall without the timber bearer?

any advice will be appreciated.

thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Hi, re your fitting new joists in sandstone wall, I have a similar situation, can I ask you what your solution was.
Regards

Hi
we used resin bonded bolts in the end.

they were absolutely amazing,

when we were tightening them up not one of them turned in the wall. they were rock solid.
considering the state of the wall which was sandstone with a rubble core, I though at least some of them would fail. Not not one did.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back