Fixing a Plasma tv/bracket to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a large (32inch) and heavy LCD screen that I am trying to fix onto wall. I have a bracket that says it will withstand well over the weight and screws and rawl plugs but am still a little worried it will take weight. The rawl plugs I was sent are a little shorter than the large screws supplied which means that they open when screwed in which I am a little worried about. Mayb I should get larger ones? Also two of the rawl plugs I have are a little loose when I put in holes - will it be ok to put some matchsticks in with them so they fit snug.

Hope someone out there can help,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Drill those holes out accurately to 8mm, Dan - and tap in a quality plug, with some pva adhesive if you feel like it!
John :)

Thanks for the reply john the thing is I have already drilled the holes two of them are fine the other two are slightly larger than rawl plug so i was thinking of stuffing some matchsticks/ Pva to make snug do you thing this will be ok? Secondly is it ok to use rawl plugs that are slightly shorter than screw around 1cm?

dan

Ideally its best to drill to the next size up, but by all means pack / glue the plug in - it has to depend on how slack the thing is!
The plug needs to be the length of the screw, not shorter......if the screw passes through the plug,it won't want to go into brick.

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

I have one last question for you. Regarding the rawl plugs. I have drilled the holes deep to the length of the screws so they will not be going into brick. The point is that the screws are a little longer than the rawl plugs (about 1cm) so when I screw them in they will open at the end and I'm a bit worried the rawl plug won't fully support the screws.

Dan

I'm slightly confused about this one Dan....always drill the hole deeper than the length of the plug because if the drilling is too shallow, the screw point will pierce the plug end and if it then tries to go into something solid, you'll come to a dead halt and the bracket won't be secure.
It sounds like you are drilling into plaster, with brick behind. Is this correct?

Thanks for your reply, the holes I have drilled are deeper than raw plugs there is no problem with the depth of the holes. I am pretty sure i have drilled into concrete don't worry about that. I am possibly worrying about nothing here but I need to make sure - I am worried because the screws are slightly longer than rawl plug not because they wont go into wall because it is deep enough but because screw will pierce end of rawl plug and mayb plug will open. and not fully support screw.

Ah I see.....worry ye not Dan - the job will be a good 'un.
For TV brackets and the like I tend to go for a 4.5 gauge screw and an 8mm plug - but 6mm plugs will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back