Fixing a post to the top of a garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I want to fix a timber post to the top of a brick wall (I'm going to make an arbour).

How can I fix the post to the top of the wall? You know how they fix posts outside porches, the post is fixed a couple of inches off the ground.

I don't like those bolt down post shoes you can get.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If your wall is double skin, build the post into the wall.
Otherwise, a vertical length of timber fixed to the wall extending above the wall to support your post.

Sponsored Links
I,ve done something similiar in the past and I used althread bar. This was fitted into the post by drilling into the end and screwing it in . Allthread usually comes in 1m lengths so can be cut to whatever you require. If I recall I used a piece cut in half with around 250-300mm in the timber , something like a 75mm gap and the rest was set into concrete (or in your case brickwork). Of course it doesn't have to be allthread simple bar would do the job, stainless would be best but chrome steel or galvanised steel would be fine.
Here's a quick search for gahttp://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/a...eel_All_Thread_Threaded_Rod_zinc.htmllvanised allthread , I'd use the 20mm myself-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back