Fixing a toilet to a wooden floor

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I fixed my toilet to the wooden floor I didn’t put a bead of silicon around the edge as I don’t really like the look of it and prefer the clean lines. However I now realise the error of my ways as every time the toilet is cleaned of gets condensation the water get trapped under the toilet which has started to mark the wood.

So looking at ways to fix the toilet without the external bead of silicon.

The 2 ways I have thought of are

To lift the toilet slightly, squeeze some silicon underneath then lower the toilet down onto the wet silicon and clean off any excess that squeezes out. Would this approach work or would it mean that the toilet is now effectively glued to the wood and would be difficult/impossible to move if necessary?

The second way I thought off was to put a bead of silicon around the base of the toilet forming a sort of gasket. Wait for it to dry then secure the toilet to the floor. Since the silicon would not be “glued” to the floor would the water still be able to get underneath by capillary action?

Or is there a better more professional way to achieve this?

Sponsored Links
When I fixed my toilet to the wooden floor I didn’t put a bead of silicon around the edge as I don’t really like the look of it and prefer the clean lines. However I now realise the error of my ways as every time the toilet is cleaned of gets condensation the water get trapped under the toilet which has started to mark the wood.
So looking at ways to fix the toilet without the external bead of silicon.
Not using silicone to seal around the base of the pan is very unhygienic; the occasional “poor shot” is inevitable with any bloke & when that gets under the pan, yuk; it may well be something else marking your wood floor & not cleaning water/condensation. I would certainly advise you lift the pan if only to give it a good clean underneath.

To lift the toilet slightly, squeeze some silicon underneath then lower the toilet down onto the wet silicon and clean off any excess that squeezes out. Would this approach work or would it mean that the toilet is now effectively glued to the wood and would be difficult/impossible to move if necessary?
It would be sort of glued down but it’s not difficult to break the seal & lift it off again; why would you want to though?

The second way I thought off was to put a bead of silicon around the base of the toilet forming a sort of gasket. Wait for it to dry then secure the toilet to the floor. Since the silicon would not be “glued” to the floor would the water still be able to get underneath by capillary action?
Yes, probably.

Or is there a better more professional way to achieve this?
I sit the pan onto the floor (whatever that is), fix & then silicone around the base; you can make the bead as large or as small as you want & done properly it looks just as clean & neat; if you use clear silicone, it’s not really noticeable at all. You could sit the pan & a bead & wipe off the excess but the end result is not much different to applying a bead once it’s fitted.

Thanks for the reply.

If I understand it correctly you are saying that once the pan is fitted I can apply the clear silicon then wipe of the excess. This would only leave a very small amount of silicon in the radius of the bottom edge of the pan.

Would that be strong enough to withstand the rigors of being cleaned etc?

Sponsored Links
If I understand it correctly you are saying that once the pan is fitted I can apply the clear silicon then wipe of the excess. This would only leave a very small amount of silicon in the radius of the bottom edge of the pan.?
Yes; but it's normal & much better to use a silicone bead of the required size & just smooth that over. One of the problems with wiping silicone is that it can leave a very thin sliver at the edges & this tends to flake off leaving a rough edge.
Would that be strong enough to withstand the rigors of being cleaned etc?
Yes, providing both the floor & the pan are thoroughly cleaned to get a good bond but bearing in mind what I’ve said above. Use a good quality sanitary silicone & don’t attack it with a scrubbing brush. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back