Fixing fence posts - major problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Replacing a fence that has come down. Tried to dig a hole for the fence post only to find the area has concrete just below the surface of the top soil. Tried 3 or 4 other places along the fence line and this was the same. What are my options? Looking on HSS hire website they have 'Demolition hammers', is this my only option? Are there any 'add on' bits which can be fitted to regular electric hammer drills to try and break up the concrete?

Would appreciate any comments, thanks

Sponsored Links
if its old concrete and been there for a while your best/easiest/quickest bet is a demolition hammer. Old concrete can be vary hard as it carrys on hardening over the passage of time. If its an old post foundation you could dig around it, but you will disturb so much soil that you will struggle to get a decent fixing.

If you notch the old fence post and pull it out, and if the old footing is deep enough you can also drop a new post into the old post hole

this is why I hate wooden posts and like concrete ones. They don't rot and break off, leaving you with a great lump of concrete in the ground :evil:

Thermo is very strong and hoiks them out with one hand :LOL: but I found it very difficult.

Sponsored Links
i dont hoike em out, i go through them. leave the old stuff in place and make a pocket for the new one.

now stop being such a weedy john or ill have you up here for a week lifting em out! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back