FIXING FOR BREEZE BLOCK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to put my old kitchen units in the garage and all the walls are breeze block only (not plastered or plaster boarded just plain breeze blocks). What is the best way to fasten these and with what type of fixing. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Brown plugs, number 10 screws. Are you complicating things here OP?

Hi Thanks. Sorry to sound thick (but I am a female Khris just for the records!!). When you say brown plugs do you just mean normal plastic rawl plugs?

if plugging and screwing into a loose or crumbly wall, here is a fantastic tip (best one I heard in 20 years)

get a tube of no-more-nails or similar adhesive (I find the £1 cheapo ones are OK for this job)

drill holes that are amply wide enough and deep enough for your plug and screw

clear out all loose dust and fragments with a vac or water jet

push the nozzle of your adhesive deep into the hole (so it fills from the back with no air pocket

push the plug in (you can put a screw in by a couple of turns to use as a handle)

smooth off the surface/remove excess adhesive (after a few, you will know how much to use to get a complete fill but no waste)

verify that the plug is fully home, flush or slightly recessed, and straight

leave overnight so it hardens

next day, fit your thing and drive the screw fully home. It will give a strong and firm hold that will not turn, loosen or pull out.

you can use the same method if you have to put a screw into a mortar joint, or a crack in a stone wall

p.s. they are Plasplugs not Rawl Plugs which used to be something different

p.p.s if you are not used to this sort of work, you will find it much quicker to mark all your holes, then drill them all, then clean them all, then inject and plug them one at a time. Don't do one mark/drill/clean/inject/plug/screw, then another mark/drill/clean/inject/plug/screw, or you will spend all your time putting down and picking up tools. Plus the nozzle will clog.

if plugging and screwing into a loose or crumbly wall, here is a fantastic tip (best one I heard in 20 years)

get a tube of no-more-nails or similar adhesive (I find the £1 cheapo ones are OK for this job)

drill holes that are amply wide enough and deep enough for your plug and screw

clear out all loose dust and fragments with a vac or water jet

push the nozzle of your adhesive deep into the hole (so it fills from the back with no air pocket

push the plug in (you can put a screw in by a couple of turns to use as a handle)

smooth off the surface/remove excess adhesive (after a few, you will know how much to use to get a complete fill but no waste)

verify that the plug is fully home, flush or slightly recessed, and straight

leave overnight so it hardens

next day, fit your thing and drive the screw fully home. It will give a strong and firm hold that will not turn, loosen or pull out.

you can use the same method if you have to put a screw into a mortar joint, or a crack in a stone wall

p.s. they are Plasplugs not Rawl Plugs which used to be something different

p.p.s if you are not used to this sort of work, you will find it much quicker to mark all your holes, then drill them all, then clean them all, then inject and plug them one at a time. Don't do one mark/drill/clean/inject/plug/screw, then another mark/drill/clean/inject/plug/screw, or you will spend all your time putting down and picking up tools. Plus the nozzle will clog.

lol'd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back