Fixing Hole In Floor???? Whats the best solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the request of my wife, i recently installed a towel rail radiator in my upstairs bathroom. The only problem was that the existing pipe-work spacing of the old radiator did not match; no bending of the pipe-work was acceptable. This resulted in cutting into the bathroom floor to access pipe-work to make the pipe modification. Once radiator was installed, the hole in the floor needed to be dealt with. The problem im wrestling with is that the main joists to which the floor-board (20mm plywood) run parallel to the wall to which radiator is attached and are spaced about 600mm apart ( Really wide eh ). I have cut the plywood back to both of these joists and to a cross-noggin, but the fourth support (2nd cross noggin) is meters away. Therefore I have a situation where the majority of the floor panel is suspened by two joists and one cross-joist, but the edge with the cut is not. I was advised to insert a cross noggin where the existing section of the floor-panel is floating and run a middle joist from that new noggin to exsting noggin and floor over that. If this is a good solution, how do I get and fix the noggin between the joists such that it is under the existing floating floor edge - therefore supporing it? I guess the noggin itself can be forced into position, but how can it be fixed in-place. There will be no room below it (plaster-board celling), any suggestions?

++++++++++++++++++
This is a duplicate post so I have locked it and it will be deleted later.
Welcome to the forums, but please read the Forum Rules.

the other post is //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70801

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
A few long screws, diagonally through the nog into the joist or other nog. It will be a hundred times easier if you pilot-drill the nog first.

If you use nails, or don't pilot-drill, the nog will probably move about while you are trying to fix it. If you screw it lightly to the existing piece of flooring, that will help keep it in place.

Am i restricted to using a noggin which is the same size (thickness & height) as the joist, or can i use smaller dimensions?? Also, could I use joist brackets as well as the fixing method proposed ( screws / nails )?

Sponsored Links
It can be smaller. If it is quite short it does not need to be as deep as the joists. Since you will be screwing the edges of two boards onto it, you will want it to be quite wide. 50mm sq would be OK if it is a noggin of 600mm length. You could use joist hangers but they would probably take you longer and you might get the height wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back