Fixing kitchen sink to worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the middle of doing up my kitchen and we had a carpenter come and fit the worktop this week and so I have to fit the sink tomorrow. Problem is the carpenter has not left a lip on the inside of the sink cupboard for me to fix the sink clips to. If anything the worktop ends and there is about 3mm of the top of the cupboard showing. Not only that but when the sink is in situ there is barely enough room to get a screwdriver up there to tighten the clips.

Anyone have any suggestions or faced this problem before and how did you get around it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So long as the sink sits nice and flat on the work top, run a bead of clear mastic around the hole. place the sink on top, then weigh down with a heavy weight and leave over night to set. Remember to seal the inside of the worktop with unibond first,

Yep have sealed the inside of the sink to stop that water getting into the worktop. Thanks so you don't think that I'll even need to use the two clips at that end then? I was contemplating drilling a hole into the side of the cupboard big enough to fit them into so they could poke through there and grab the underside of the worktop

What size is the sinktop, what size is the cupboard it's being fitted above?

Sponsored Links
If you can get a couple of clips on, obviously it will help. It's a common problem, they supply all the clips but sometimes there's no where to put them.

Not quite the answer to the question.
I was trying to ascertain if it was a case of not using the 6 'P's method.

It sounds like the sink needs to be fitted either in a slightly different position or over a bigger unit.

When you say 1.5 presumably you mean 11/2 bowls, but with or without drainer?

This is quite a common problem

A good quality clear silicone such as Cow Dorning should be used ,making sure it is clear rather then white because this seems to bond better

The sink hole should always be sealed with Varnish not Pva so if there ever is a slight leak at least the untreated chipboard can be saved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back