Fixing Plasma TV onto stud partition wall

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by JoinerMike, 23 Sep 2009.

1. JoinerMike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all. A question for my fellow joiners.
    I have recently being asked by a customer to fix a bracket to a stud partition wall for a plasma which is a monstrous 5ft wide 35 inch high and 70kg's in weight. The only way I can think is to strip the plasterboard off one side of the wall. Fix more 4"x2" framework, re-plasterboard and skim the wall.
    I can't think of any other options. Any joiners who have tackled this sort of task in a different way? If so please tell me.
    Mainly due to wall having very old plater coving and plaster daedo rail, which i don't fancy trying to match back up to.

2. IJWS15

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How about fitting some steel strips (say 5mmx50mm) between studs on the surface and fixing the TV bracket to tapped holes in that.

Painted the same colour as the bracket (or the wall) it will be hidden behind the TV and not push it out very far from the wall.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. JoinerMike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good idea. Didn't even think of tackling it that way. Doing it this way i could use metal or even a plywood sheet. Bolt the bracket to the plywood/metal then screw this into the studwork so the weight is spread across as many studs as possible. Cheers mate. Knew someone would give me a different view. Give yourself 10 points :LOL:

4. Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whilst not of that size or weight. I wanted to fit an LCD tv to a lathe & plaster wall, the back side of the wall was in a cupboard so I could get to it.
    I bolted 2 pieces of ply, 1 each side of the lath & plaster wall, I then fitted the tv barcket to the ply.