Fixing Sealed Glass Unit In Wood Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, .. i currently have wooden windows with single glass panes in them and i wish to replace these with sealed / cased units . can someone pls help me in advising what fixings and how i can fix a sealed / cased glass unit of approx total 14mm thickness into a frame of similar depth ?

the issue i have is on deciding how to hold the sealed unit into the slot / frame as the outer surface of the glass will be in line with the window frame .

many thanks

Sponsored Links
you cannot fit normal double glazing into a 14mm rebate normal d/g glazing units are around 30mm

your alternatives are to buy stepped units or increase the rebate depth with due regards to the structural strength of components like glazing bars
you idealy need a minimum of 5mm to seat the the units against a 2mm bead of glazing silicone
if you dont have enough depth to attach beading you risk not only the metalwork showing on the window but you are also unable to finnish the face edge neatly

both options are expensive :cry:

tks for your reply..i have found a supplier who does a 14mm sealed unit (4mm x 2 glass sheets) an that should just about fit in the space - however the issue remains on how to firmly fix the same.

the reason i amso keen to replace with sealed glass unit is to cut down the aircraft noise rather than change the entire window/doors.

appreciate any further direction

tks for your reply..i have found a supplier who does a 14mm sealed unit (4mm x 2 glass sheets) an that should just about fit in the space - however the issue remains on how to firmly fix the same.

the reason i amso keen to replace with sealed glass unit is to cut down the aircraft noise rather than change the entire window/doors.

more space between panes better heat and sound insulation!!!!!
i would be checking how good a 6mm gap is compared to a 30mm gap!!!!

are your windows sliding sashes !!!!

Sponsored Links
I would make a glazing cassette out of 'T' profile timber that fits the existing window appature.
You can then effectively sandwich the old window frame and leave a suitably wide rebate for your glass.
You must remember obviously that your glass size will need to be reduced accordingly. I always allow 2.5mm on all sides (5mm overall) on the measured size of the appature. :)

Secondary glazing will reduce noise up to 80%, I have one in my bedroom when I used to do shiftwork, does make a difference. Ideally at least 150mm gap if poss. I've stayed overnight at Gatwick Hilton Hotel which have them and you cannot hear the planes

Have a look here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back