Fixing Skirting Boards

Sponsored Links
Fully screwed if you can be bothered and fill after.

Or no nails with a few screws to hold.

Used "no more nails" in the past but a few of these came off at a later date (no doubt after a few bangs with the hoover!)
That stuff is Crap !!! Tried it once, on the same type of job as yourself, will never use it again.
Normal silicone sealant does a better job.
Or try a foam based adhesive, but that invloves a purchase of a gun which adds to the expense. (not "Expanding foam" it's slightly different)
Although if the skirtings could be held in position for the duration of the expansion phase, the expanding foam might work.

Sponsored Links
I have used something called Pink Grip quite a few times and does the job.

• Thanks
Reactions: HH1
I fitted about 25m worth of MDF skirting with Gun a Nail Extra (made by the same people as Pinkgrip) last year without problems. Grabs like hell and the skirting is all still there.

• Thanks
Forgot about pinkgrip, yes that would probably work.
Good stuff.

Haven't tried that "gun a nail" and since everbuild do it I recon that it will be pretty good. Thanks Monkeh I'll now put that on my wish list and give it a try sometime.

Haven't tried that "gun a nail" and since everbuild do it I recon that it will be pretty good. Thanks Monkeh I'll now put that on my wish list and give it a try sometime.

It's amazingly strong stuff. Lives up to the name grab adhesive. Be aware Gun a Nail is waterbased. Gun a Nail Extra is solvent based.

• Thanks
I'm with Monkeh on this. either Gun, n, Nail or some proprietary solvent based adhesive (like gripfill) If the background has been freshly plastered, don't forget to give it a bit of a wipe with a dry cloth first to remove any plaster dust etc. This can cause bad adhesion of anything to it.
;) ;)

IMO the absolute top method is to screw timber battens (18mm sq if your plaster is about 18mm) to the walls using plasplugs. If the wall is crumbly inject nomorenails or similar into the holes and push the plasplugs into it, they will be held firm when it sets and you can screw into them. One batten top level with the top of the skirting, one up by 18mm or so from the floorboard. Hack off the plaster first, and fill neatly the joint of top batten to plaster. You can pack out the batten a bit to make it pretty flush with the plaster, and notch the back of the batten for obstructions such as cables.

Screw the skirting lightly to the battens

Very easy and dependable. You can decorate the wall before fixing the skirting.

Used "no more nails" in the past but a few of these came off at a later date (no doubt after a few bangs with the hoover!)
That stuff is Crap !!! Tried it once, on the same type of job as yourself, will never use it again.
Normal silicone sealant does a better job.
Or try a foam based adhesive, but that invloves a purchase of a gun which adds to the expense. (not "Expanding foam" it's slightly different)
Although if the skirtings could be held in position for the duration of the expansion phase, the expanding foam might work.

Hum, all I can say is if you used genuine "No more nails" and they came off then you did something wrong. There are skirting boards and architraves at my mothers house that have been on over 15 years now stuck on with nothing more than Unibond original "No more nails".

Personally I think it is a fantastic product. However a lot of the other instant grab building adhesives are no where near as good. The great thing about the genuine "No more nails" is that it retains a small amount of flexibility that prevents cracks forming but is harder than a traditional flexible filler. As such in addition to using it to stick them on, I also use it for filling all the gaps, though due to shrinkage this does take two passes.
I my books 15 years and not a sign of cracking against the wall along the top of the skirting is dam good going.

If you have really curvy walls it may well help to use some screws to hold it in place while it dries, though I have some blocks of wood to screw to the floor and proceed with spreader clamps.

Even if I was doing a nail or screw job I would recommend some no more nails to give it extra rigidity that can never be achieved with either screw or nails alone.

It is also great with coving, I have some 12 year old coving that is again without a single crack anywhere between the joins.

There is a lot of nonsense posted on here.

Best way to fix skirting is with Timco concrete screws.
No plugs needed.

Just countersink the necessary holes and drill a 6mm hole with an sds and drive home with a t30 torx.

Then fill the countersink with a 12.7mm plug cut from the same timber.
Job done.

Take a plugging chisel and cut out the vertical mortar joints in the brickwork, every 24",
Then cut 2" x 3" x 3/8" thick timber pieces on the twist.
Hammer these into the slots you have cut (the twist will ensure that the timber plugs don't come out).
Then cut them about 3/8" proud of the brickwork to allow for the render coat of plaster.
Then nail the skirting board to the plugs using cut brads; finally, apply the floating and set coats of plaster - job done. That's how it was done in 1851 :)

Take a plugging chisel and cut out the vertical mortar joints in the brickwork, every 24",
Then cut 2" x 3" x 3/8" thick timber pieces on the twist.
Hammer these into the slots you have cut (the twist will ensure that the timber plugs don't come out).
Then cut them about 3/8" proud of the brickwork to allow for the render coat of plaster.
Then nail the skirting board to the plugs using cut brads; finally, apply the floating and set coats of plaster - job done. That's how it was done in 1851 :)

:LOL:
what have you seen the price of 'CUT' nails these days.??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back